ImageImageImageImageImage

Rubbing his knee?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Rubbing his knee? 

Post#1 » by MDDN48 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

First of all, nobody was more excited about Tmac playing at The Garden last night then me. But did anyone notice, when the camera showed Tracy was on the bench last night, he was seen rubbing his knee, a couple of times. My first reaction was, "first game in, and he's already rubbing his knee. this can only get worse". But maybe its nothing. Just hoping its nothing to worry about.
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
orangeblobman
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Rubbing his knee? 

Post#2 » by orangeblobman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:56 pm

The guy had surgery on that knee. It will never be 100%. You can't expect it to be 100%. He will always rub it, it will always feel a little off. Add to that that he has not played in months and they put him in for 30 minutes, that's what happens. No worries!
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by NYKnick87 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't think it's an issue with pain. He wasn't hobbling out there or anything like he was last year. He just wasn't explosive or as quick. I think his legs just probably felt exhausted. He played starters minutes after almost a one year layaway - his legs probably just felt like jello and was just massaging it.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#4 » by br7knicks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:02 pm

his brace also could have just been rubbing a lot, causing it to be uncomfortable. he hasn't played hard, and in a game, since december.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#5 » by ITGM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:11 pm

You would be rubbing your knees to if you hadn't played in a professional game in over a year and all of a sudden you were thrown into a D'Antoni chuck and duck system.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#6 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I saw hnim do that a couple of times. My take was that he was almost absent-mindedly doing it, out of habit maybe. I think it's something he did a lot when he was rehabbing and hasn't stopped doing. He wasn't looking at the knee wiith concern, he was sort of looking at the game or peoiple around him and rubbing, not even massaging. He might even be checking to see if it hurts, something a lot of people do after an injury, again, out of habit. He was moving well, showed no sign of a limp and had better lift than I thought he would. I'm not worried about it.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
WashWalshBallz
Junior
And1: 23

Post#7 » by WashWalshBallz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm with you man. Any way you spin it, that wasn't a good sign. Last night was such a great game to watch (haven't said that in awhile), and I just hope T-Mac can stay healthy. I watched on TV, but the atmosphere was amazing! I would say "playoff-like", but I've forgotten what that is.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by NYKnick87 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Another thing rubbing does is stimulate blood flow I think.
xxdaprofessorxx
Senior
And1: 13

Post#9 » by xxdaprofessorxx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:19 pm

He was just doing it to keep it warm, getting blow flow to it would keep it warm and feel better.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#10 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:38 pm

If he was feeling pain the trainer would have given him ice. It would have been wrapped. I've known people that have rubbed old injuries in the same way, and when asked about if it still was hurting, one of them said "no, but I still check to see if it started hurting again" People get really paranoid after major injuries. They get scared it won't get better, or that it will be hurt again once it does heal. I'd bet that TMac is fine.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
fullermd
Banned User
And1: 142

Post#11 » by fullermd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I saw that. And yes, that is something to be concerned about. To rub that knee like that coupled with missing the entire 4th quarter, that is indication of a problem. I hope that I am wrong. But, chances are the rubbing was for a reason....PAIN...(which usually means injury). It could be psychological in nature, as result of the major injury...we can only hope that this is the case. However, he sat quite a bit following the initiation of the rubbing...we will see
King of Troy
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#12 » by King of Troy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:45 pm

ITT Doom and gloom guys

I've had knee problems. Its natural. My knees are now fine, but you definitely rub them after activity because they tighten up. Like previous guys have said, it brings blood into them.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,568

Post#13 » by Knick4Real » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm

I noticed him doing it too and immediately realized somebody else would notice it too and be concerned. But I had the same arthroscopic surgery on the same knee as he did and I often rub my knee like that all the time. It's more of a massage than pain relief. Believe me, if his knee was hurting, it would be painful to touch it like that. I doubt it was anything serious or to be concerned about.
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#14 » by rrosario35 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:23 pm

I noticed, he wasnt wincing or limping but he didnt play much in OT... I figured D'antoni was just resting him and next week T-Mac will play more in that OT
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#15 » by kane2021 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:35 pm

I busted a knee out when I was a teen. TBO I favored it for some time even after it was healed. It feels funny when it gets its first real use. Its not a pain or even a discomfort. It just feels funny.

Maybe a issue. But does it matter? We got him for his contract to move JJ. Anything we get from his is a bonus in entertainment value the rest of the season.

IMHO his performance yesterday eased the blow of the trade. I dont think anyone realistically was expecting that type of performance. And it offered us a view as to what this team could look like with a premier wing. I dont think there was one knick fan complaining about the trade last night. And the electricity was almost worth the price.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#16 » by hatnlvr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:37 pm

The is no surprise that the knee will be sore after getting his first real playing time. It will take him a few weeks to work through it but I really wouldn't worry about it.
ImageImage
NYKnicks517
Ballboy

Post#17 » by NYKnicks517 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

T-Mac been away from the game for a while. Yeah, he was "training" but theres nothing like in game experience. The knee was swelling up and getting stiff. Doctors advised me in the past to rub it out when ever my knee got like that after a workout. It's going to take some time for him to rebuild up his ligaments and muscles surrounding the knee. Its normal after a surgery of this magnitude. Remember, Allan Houston used to do it also.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#18 » by Mecca » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I was at the game, and I saw him with an ice-pack on his knee in the 3rd quarter.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
JMurder
Sophomore

Post#19 » by JMurder » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 am

NYKnicks517 wrote:T-Mac been away from the game for a while. Yeah, he was "training" but theres nothing like in game experience. The knee was swelling up and getting stiff. Doctors advised me in the past to rub it out when ever my knee got like that after a workout. It's going to take some time for him to rebuild up his ligaments and muscles surrounding the knee. Its normal after a surgery of this magnitude. Remember, Allan Houston used to do it also.

:o
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,631

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:21 am

Yes, I saw it and, yes, I was definitely wondering if he was feeling pain in it. But the answer to that question will be answered in the next game and the game after that. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it was nothing.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks