Orlando Magic WiretapAugust 2009 Orlando Magic Wiretap

Smith: Foyle Will Do Dirty Work For Magic

Aug 28, 2009 6:08 PM

The Magic re-signed center Adonal Foyle on Thursday, and general manager Otis Smith couldn't be happier.

"If you need him to bang against the bigger bigs, he can," Smith told the Orlando Sentinel. "But he brings leadership, which he's always done since he's been in the league, and he brings professionalism, which he's one of the best at. As a human being you're putting around your team, he's one of the better guys in our league, and he's shown that year after year."

Foyle is third on Orlando's depth chart at center, playing behind Dwight Howard and Marcin Gortat.

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Courtney Lee Wants To Fill Orlando With Regret

Aug 27, 2009 11:56 PM

Courtney Lee is determined to become the kind of player the Orlando Magic will regret trading away to the New Jersey Nets.

"I'm going to be a man on a mission," Lee said Thursday afternoon after a training session at the IMG Academy. "I just hope they'll be happy for me when I grow into the player that they wish they had. I'd like them to one day say 'I wish we would have kept him.'"

Orlando dealt Lee in a package that included Vince Carter.

"I'd like to be Dwight Howard's teammate again -- in the All-Star game," Lee said. "They [Magic] have a history of trading good players [Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady, Corey Maggette, Mike Miller] who did well afterward. I hope that's me. My goal will be to go out and dominate every game, but especially those games [when I play the Magic]. I'll be jacked up for sure."

Lee had high hopes for his future with the Magic.

"The trade shocked me. After the Finals, Dwight and I were talking about things we had to do to get back and win a championship together. He joked about us being the next Shaq and Penny [Hardaway] with the Magic," he said. "I know it's a business, and trades happen, but it's not something you forget, even when you look forward like I am."

Fanhouse

Tags: Orlando Magic, Brooklyn Nets, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Orlando Re-Signs Foyle

Aug 27, 2009 1:58 PM

The Orlando Magic have re-signed free agent center Adonal Foyle, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

Foyle played in 10 games last season with both the Magic and Memphis, averaging 1.7 ppg. and 2.6 rpg. in 6.2 minpg. He was traded to Memphis as part of the three-team deal that sent Rafer Alston to Orlando on Feb. 19, later waived by Memphis on Mar. 1, then re-signed by Orlando on Mar. 23.

NBA.com

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Magic Moving Quickly In Talks To Re-Sign Foyle

Aug 27, 2009 10:57 AM

The Orlando Magic are attempting to re-sign veteran big man Adonal Foyle.

Foyle's agent Lon Babby told the Orlando Sentinel they're moving towards an agreement and Magic GM Otis Smith also told the Sentinel it should be done pretty soon.

"It's not a hard deal to negotiate," Smith said.

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Magic See Similarities Between Williams, Alston

Aug 21, 2009 7:20 AM

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy sees similarities between Jason Williams and Rafer Alston.

Orlando signed Williams on Wednesday, and rode Alston all the way to the NBA Finals last season after starting point guard Jameer Nelson went down with an injury.

"I think there's some real similarities between he and Rafer in that I think you have guys that are in their 30s, veteran guys who are a little bit older, but have the type of bodies that are a little bit younger than their age," Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel.

"The thing that Jason's got that we really like he can play big minutes if needed, and that's what ended up happening with Jameer last year when he went down. Jason, as he puts in the work, gets back in shape, has the type of body and the type of energy that will allow him to play big minutes if we need that. We hope we won't."

Van Gundy is familiar with Williams from when they were both in Miami, and said that the point guard "still looked like Jason Williams" even after sitting out last season.

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Williams Projects Similar Role In Orlando As He Had With Heat

Aug 20, 2009 8:23 PM

Jason Williams signed with the Magic on Wednesday and he is excited about the opportunity.

"First of all, Jameer?s not going to get hurt," Williams said. "Secondly I signed a contract to do what they want me to do. If they want me to play 30 minutes I?ll do that. If they want me to play 10, I?ll do that. My body was feeling good before I took the year off. It just feels great now.

Williams wasn't worried about having gotten a year older.

"I can be as good or better [than before retirement] because my teammates, look at those guys, how good they are.

"I love to pass. Dwight Howard loves to score. He?s open he?s getting the ball and the rest will be easy. That?s kind of how it was when I went to Miami with Dwyane and Shaq. Those guys just make your job so much easier because there?s so much attention to them. You?re not going to worry about Jason Williams, you?re going to worry about Dwayne Wade. Cmon."

Tags: Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
SVG Doesn't Think PEDs Are Part Of NBA Culture

Aug 20, 2009 4:01 PM

Stan Van Gundy was asked about performance enhancing drugs and the possibility that they are in the NBA.

?First of all, I?m not going to sit up here and say that it?s not or won?t be, because you just never know," said Van Gundy. "I don?t think, though, that other than maybe the ability to recover quicker out of it, from what I know of the performance-enhancing drugs, I just don?t know if it would give as big a lift to basketball players. It?s still a quickness, agility, skill game. Straight power and strength is not going to get you very far.?

He was then asked if it could improve a player's rebounding.

?I don?t even know about that. Maybe you could bang around down there. Maybe the guys whose job it is to give six fouls. I don?t know. I?m not saying it couldn?t help at all, because I can?t claim to be an expert on those drugs anyway. But I just don?t think that it gives you as much potentially at least as what you can get out of them in football or baseball. And there?s not a culture of it in our sport. There?s just not a culture of it. And you can look around. You don?t see people getting abnormally bigger. You?re not watching guys come in to our league at 19 or 20 looking one way and then you?re going, ?Whoa! What happened?? You?re not seeing guys? heads expand and then putting on unnatural strength.

"Dwight?s one of the stronger guys in our league, and look at him: What you?ve seen is pretty normal maturity for somebody his age. I?m not going to name any names, but you haven?t seen what you?ve seen in some of the baseball players. And you?re not seeing outsized guys like you see in football. It?s just not really a part of our culture in basketball, because I don?t think you would gain as much. But I?m not going to say it?s not happening and won?t happen. I don?t have any idea. But I?d be surprised by it a little bit.?

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Orlando Signs Jason Williams

Aug 19, 2009 4:01 PM

The Magic have signed free agent guard Jason Williams, General Manager Otis Smith announced on Wednesday.

RealGM's Alex Kennedy reported earlier on Wednesday that Orlando would sign Williams.

"Jason (Williams) provides depth and leadership to our backcourt," said Smith. "He is a veteran point guard that knows what it takes to help us reach our ultimate goal.  We are excited to add him to our team."

Williams did not play during the 2008-09 season after announcing his retirement last September.

RealGM Staff Report

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Williams Expected To Sign With Orlando

Aug 19, 2009 2:46 PM

The Orlando Magic will sign Jason Williams in the coming days, according to a source that spoke with RealGM's Alex Kennedy.

Williams, who worked out for the Magic on Tuesday, resides in Orlando with his family and will return after retiring shortly before the 08-09 season.

The Memphis Grizzlies and New York Knicks have also expressed interest in Williams.

Williams has averaged 11.4 points and 6.3 assists over the course of his ten-year career.

Click here to follow RealGM's Twitter feed for more breaking news.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Williams Has Tuesday Workout With Magic

Aug 18, 2009 8:16 PM

Jason Williams worked out for the Magic on Tuesday.

"He looked okay, especially for a guy who's sat out a year," said Otis Smith to the Orlando Sentinel.  "He's a possibility."

Tags: Orlando Magic, NBA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Warriors Reject Orlando's Offer For Watson
The Magic tried to get guard C.J. Watson in a sign-and-trade from the Warriors, but Golden State turned down an offer.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Dwight Likes Orlando's Chances
Dwight Howard likes Orlando's chances to compete in the Eastern Conference, despite the criticism the team has received.

Yahoo! Sports

Watson Likely To Remain With Warriors
Orlando's pursuit of C.J. Watson appears to be over.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Agent: Gortat Has Muscle Strain
Marcin Gortat's lower-back injury is likely a muscle strain, the center's agent told the Orlando Sentinel.

Report: Gortat Hurts Back Playing For Poland
Magic center Marcin Gortat hurt his back Friday night playing for the Polish national team, according to reports.

Experts: Magic Aren't Team To Beat In East
The Magic represented the Eastern Conference in the NBA Finals this past June, but many don't see them as the team to beat heading into the 2009-10 season.

Howard: Courtney Lee Still Hurting Over Trade
Magic center Dwight Howard says Courtney Lee is still hurting over his trade to the Nets back in June.

New York Post

Smith Told Pritchard Blazers 'Caught A Break' With Turkoglu
Otis Smith reportedly told Kevin Pritchard that the Blazers 'caught a break' not signing Hedo Turkoglu.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Magic Keeping Wilks On Radar
The Magic are keeping tabs on free agent Mike Wilks as they look to add a third point guard to their roster.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Bass Could Start For Lewis During Suspension
The Magic could insert Brandon Bass into the starting lineup with Rashard Lewis serving a ten-game suspension to start the season.

Suspension Will Cost Lewis $1.7M
Magic forward Rashard Lewis will lose $1.7 million in salary because of his 10-game suspension.

Lewis May Appeal Suspension
Rashard Lewis may try to appeal the ten game suspension issued by the NBA for taking a banned substance.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Lewis Suspended For Elevated Testosterone Test
Rashard Lewis of the Orlando Magic has been suspended without pay for ten games.

Press Release

C.J. Watson Still Waiting For Offer
As a restricted free agent, C.J. Watson's patience has been tested this offseason.

Alex Kennedy/RealGM

Magic, Amway Reach $40M Naming Rights Deal For New Arena
The Magic and Amway Global have reached a 10-year, $40 million naming rights deal to call the team's new facility the Amway Center.

Magic Can Only Offer Minimum Deals
The Magic are looking to sign a third point guard, but they can only offer a minimum contract.

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Return To Spurs Unlikely For Bowen
Bruce Bowen was waived on Friday by the Bucks in a cost-saving move.

ESPN