Mike Krzyzewski and Duke declined specific comments on a report that Rasheed Sulaimon, who was dismissed from the team in January, was alleged to have sexually assaulted two women during the 2013-14 academic year.
Krzyzewski dismissed Sulaimon from the team Jan. 29, saying the junior guard "repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations." Sulaimon is the first player dismissed from Duke's team under Krzyzewski.
According to the report, published Monday in the Chronicle, the Duke student newspaper, Sulaimon was accused of sexual assault by two women, who told others of the incidents but did not file complaints with Duke's Office of Student Conduct or the Durham Police Department.
Sources say Krzyzewski knew about the allegations as early as 10 months before Sulaimon was dropped from the team.
Sources close to the two women told the Chronicle that the women did not pursue school or legal action against Sulaimon because they feared reprisal from Duke's fan base.
The first allegation came in October 2013, according to the newspaper. A female student told a large group at a student-led diversity retreat called Common Ground that Sulaimon sexually assaulted her, according to three participants in the retreat. In February 2014, at a second Common Ground retreat, a second female student said she had been sexually assaulted by Sulaimon, four participants told the Chronicle.