March 2012 Basketball Wiretap

Jordan May Sell Bobcats If Turnaround Doesn't Happen Within Four Seasons

Mar 31, 2012 8:37 PM

Michael Jordan reportedly told Bobcats' GM Rich Cho to begin preparations on how to rebuild the franchise and that he may sell the franchise if they can't turn around the situation within the next few years.

“I told Rich to make us better,” Jordan told one associate recently. “If that doesn’t work and I can’t make a profit in the next three to four years, then I’m selling.”

The Bobcats are the only team in the NBA with only single-digit wins.

Mitch Lawrence/New York Daily News

Tags: Charlotte Hornets, NBA, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss Buy Tickets
Kentucky Advances To Title Game With 69-61 Win Over Louisville

Mar 31, 2012 8:33 PM

Kentucky defeated Louisville by a final score of 69-61 to advance to the 2012 NCAA Championship Game on Monday where they will face Kansas.

Anthony Davis led Kentucky with 18 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks, while Darius Miller had a critical 13 points.

Peyton Siva led Louisville with 11 points, while Gorgui Dieng had seven points, 12 rebounds and four blocks.

RealGM Staff Report

Tags: Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, NCAA Tournament, NCAA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Lin Out For Remainder Of Regular Season

Mar 31, 2012 8:30 PM

Jeremy Lin will miss the remainder of the regular season due to a small meniscal tear in his left knee that will require surgery.

Lin will have surgery within the next few days and is expected to miss six weeks.

“It is a big blow,” said Mike Woodson. “He was starting to come as a player.”

Lin and team officials had hoped to delay surgery until after the season, but the knee did not sufficiently respond to treatment over the course of the week.

“I can’t really do much, can’t really cut or jump,” Lin said at a news conference. “So it’s pretty clear that I won’t be able to help the team unless I get this fixed right now. It’s disappointing for me. It’s hard to watch the games. And I think I want to be out there, obviously, more than anything, to help the team.”

Howard Beck/New York Times

Tags: Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss Buy Tickets
BJ Young Submits Name For Draft

Mar 31, 2012 1:09 PM

BJ Young has submitted his name for consideration for the 2012 NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent.

Young is a freshman guard out of Arkansas that led all SEC freshmen in scoring at 15.3 points per game.

“I love being a Razorback and I see this as an opportunity to receive valuable feedback from the NBA advisory committee on my draft potential,” Young said in a news release from the university. “I want to make sure that I have all the information possible before I choose what is best for me and my family. Once I am able to look over all the facts, I will have a discussion with my family and coaches and decide what is best.”

40/29 TV Fayetteville

Tags: B.J. Young, Arkansas Razorbacks, NCAA, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General, NBA Draft Declarations

Discuss Buy Tickets
Kenny Payne Meets With Mississippi State

Mar 31, 2012 1:05 PM

Kenny Payne, assistant coach of Kentucky, met with Mississippi State on Friday about their head coaching vacancy.

Payne has no head coaching experience and is closely tied to William Wesley.

Wesley helped Payne secure an assistant job at Oregon and then joined John Calipari at Kentucky two years ago.

Pat Forde/Yahoo! Sports

Tags: Mississippi State Bulldogs, Kentucky Wildcats, NCAA, NCAA Misc Rumor

Discuss Buy Tickets
Kansas State Hires Bruce Weber

Mar 31, 2012 1:01 PM

Bruce Weber will become the next head coach at Kansas State.

Weber was fired by Illinois after nine seasons and a trip to the 2005 NCAA championship game.

Weber's deal is for five years.

Andy Katz/ESPN

Tags: Kansas State Wildcats, NCAA

Discuss Buy Tickets
Lakers Won't Limit Kobe's Minutes

Mar 31, 2012 1:00 PM

Mike Brown would prefer to reduce the minutes of Kobe Bryant, but he will not be able to as the Lakers vie for playoff positioning.

"All of our guys, if I can get any of our guys rest of any given day or any given night, I would love to do that," Brown said. "But right now, we can't afford to do that."

Brown believes Bryant is capable of logging heavy minutes.

"His body's in great condition," Brown said. "But he's kind of a freak of nature. When he's 52, his body might be in peak condition."

Andy Kamenetzky/ESPN

Tags: Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA, NBA B-Ball IQ

Discuss Buy Tickets
Irving Injures Right Shoulder

Mar 31, 2012 12:57 PM

Kyrie Irving sprained his right shoulder in Cleveland's 121-84 loss to the Bucks on Friday.

The Cavaliers have lost six consecutive games.

Irving was trying to fight through a screen when he ran into Ersan Ilyasova and crashed to the floor, injuring the shoulder when he hit the court.

Irving played the entire third quarter after suffering the injury in the second.

“I’m in pain right now, but getting through it,” Irving said.

Boston Herald

Tags: Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss Buy Tickets
Kings Sign Terrence Williams For Remainder Of Season

Mar 31, 2012 12:38 PM

Terrence Williams has signed with the Kings for the remainder of the season.

Williams had been on a 10-day contract with the team.

Keith Smart spoke about what Williams has been giving Sacramento.

"The ability to rebound as a guard, the ability to defend as a guard, his ability to be a playmaker," said Smart. "He sees the floor very well. That pass he floated over to Jason Thompson on the break, that's a tough pass for a guy to make to get it over the top of the runner, the defender. Then to pass it soft enough for him to be able to catch it? That's a type of pass that only certain people can make and this young man can do that. So he gives me that playmaking ability."

Jason Jones/Sacramento Bee

Tags: Terrence Williams, Sacramento Kings, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Official Signing, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss Buy Tickets
Austin Rivers Would Love To Play For Celtics

Mar 30, 2012 10:30 PM

Austin Rivers is intrigued by the prospect of playing for his father, Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

"If that was to happen, I would love to," Rivers said Friday." "I would love to play for any organization in the NBA. That's my dream. It would be great. It would be different. It would be an interesting aspect just to play for my dad."

Rivers said that if he were to be drafted by the Celtics, he'd want to be treated like any other player.

"If I'm messing up, I want him to be hard on me. If I'm doing good, I want him to pat me on the back. That's the way he coaches," Rivers said during the radio interview. "However he coaches(Rajon) Rondo or Kevin Garnett or Avery Bradleyor any other player on that team, I want him to coach me. I don't want anything handed to me. I never have my whole life. I would have to mature and accept that responsibility. That's one of the things you look forward to when you decide to go pro."

ESPNBoston.com

Tags: Austin Rivers, Boston Celtics, Duke Blue Devils, Atlantic Coast Conference, NCAA, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General

Discuss Buy Tickets
Sullinger Made Statement By Not Turning Pro
Jared Sullinger prides himself on having won at the college level.

Sporting News

Reggie Evans Fined $25,000 For Obscene Gesture
Reggie Evans has been fined $25,000 for making an obscene gesture during Monday's game against the Hornets.

Sacramento Bee

O'Neal Undergoes Successful Wrist Surgery
Jermaine O’Neal underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist on Friday.

RealGM Staff Report

Hamilton Returns To Lineup
Richard Hamilton has missed 36 of Chicago's 52 games this season, but returned to the lineup on Friday against Detroit.

Chicago Tribune

Wilson Chandler's Contract Worth Less Than Initially Reported
Wilson Chandler's contract was widely reported to be worth $37 million over five season, but sources say the number is actually $31.7 million.

Marc Stein/ESPN

Thibodeau Upset With Contract Situation
Tom Thibodeau is openly upset with the lack of a competitive contract offer from the Bulls.

Marc Stein/ESPN

Rockets Assign Malcolm Thomas To Rio Grande
Malcolm Thomas appeared in 19 games for the D-Fenders, averaging 13.8 points and 9.3 rebounds.

RealGM Staff Report

Grant Hill Undergoes Minor Knee Surgery
Grant Hill is out until mid-April, if not for the remainder of the Suns' season.

Paul Coro/Arizona Republic

Fernandez Undergoes Successful Back Surgery
Rudy Fernandez is expected to be out for the remainder of the regular season.

NBA.com

Spurs Transform Into Offensive Reliant Team
The Spurs won four titles between 1999 and 2007 behind the strength of their defense.

Jeff McDonald/San Antonio Express-News

Lester Hudson Signs 10-Day Contract With Cavaliers
Lester Hudson has appeared in five games for the Toros this season, averaging 17.6 points on .532 shooting.

RealGM Staff Report

Nets Sign Dennis Horner To 10-Day Contract
Dennis Horner appeared in five games with New Jersey, scoring a total of four points in 16 minutes of action.

RealGM Staff Report

BeeJay Anya Trims List To Sixteen
BeeJay Anya is ranked as one of the top big men in the class of 2013.

Washington Post

Pitino Denied Entry Into Hall Of Fame
Rick Pitino will not be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

ESPNNewYork.com

Oriakhi May Not Be Eligible To Transfer To SEC Program
Alex Oriakhi was recently granted release from UConn.

Sporting News

Sullinger Blames Foul Trouble On Inconsistent Officiating
Jared Sullinger has been bothered by foul trouble during the NCAA tournament.

Columbus Dispatch

Self Worried About How Kansas Will Defend Buckeyes Frontcourt
Bill Self is concerned about how KU will defend Deshaun Thomas and Jared Sullinger.

Lawrence Journal World

Bradley Beal To Consult With Family On NBA Options
Bradley Beal has until April 10 to decide whether to enter his name into the 2012 draft.

Gainesville Sun

Varejao Hopes To Play For Brazil At London Games
Anderson Varejao is still recovering from a broken wrist.

NBA.com

Arnett Moultrie Declares For Draft
Arnett Moultrie intends to hire an agent.

Jackson Clarion Ledger