Lakers Could Wait Until Free Agency For Decision On D'Antoni
The Los Angeles Lakers will not solicit the opinion of Kobe Bryant when evaluating whether or not to retain Mike D'Antoni.
"We won't consult with him," said Mitch Kupchak. "Our decisions going forward — we're not going to do knee-jerk stuff. We'll let the season end, and take some time. We've got a lot of injuries and surgeries to sort through. That's a lot to accomplish. We have the draft coming up?"
The Lakers don't have clarity on D'Antoni's future and appear likely to wait until the lottery, possibly the draft and free agency before making a final decision.
"I told Jimmy (Buss) let's get to the end season, take some time off…then review the season," said Kupchak. "Look at our roster. I mean we have a plan. We've aligned our contracts in such a way where we're at a position where we're not financially stuck. But there's a lot we don't know. We don't know where we're going to get our pick. Are we going to be sixth, are we going to be eighth, are we going to be two or three? We don't know. We know who may be a free agent, but we don't know for sure until June 30.
So we know a lot, and we're set up to take advantage of the situations — whether it's to make a trade, take back a player, get a good draft choice, pursue free agency. But once again, it's a different world than it was 20 years ago. And as much as we'd like to be very competitive and competing for a championship next year, it may or may not happen, ok?"
D'Antoni is under contract next season with the Lakers.