They discuss Zion Williamson’s rise to consensus top prospect, his teammates at Duke, Bol Bol’s unique skill set, players who have improved their stock and much more.
November 2018 NBA Wiretap
Andre Roberson will be out at least another six weeks after suffering a setback with his surgically repaired left knee.
Roberson came down from a jump during a workout on Thursday and reported some discomfort in his knee.
Roberson underwent an MRI, which revealed a small avulsion fracture.
Roberson ruptured his left patellar tendon in January.
Markelle Fultz will continue to see medical specialists about his right shoulder next week.
Fultz is searching for solutions that have included several rounds of examinations in recent days.
The Philadelphia 76ers will wait until those appointments are complete before they decide his next steps on a return to the team.
Fultz's teammates are increasingly concerned about his overall well-being beyond his struggles on the court.
Fultz has lost the ability to carry out and follow through on long jump shots, and there has been internal and external debate about how much of this perplexing circumstance is physical versus mental.
Victor Oladipo will be out indefinitely as he continues to deal with a sore right knee.
In 16 games this season, Oladipo has averaged 21.4 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game.
Oladipo last played on Nov. 17.
The Sacramento Kings have interest in trading for Otto Porter Jr.
Porter signed a four-year, $106 million offer sheet with the Brooklyn Nets in 2017, which was matched by the Washington Wizards. The Kings also met with Porter in his restricted free agency.
The Kings have the expiring contracts of Iman Shumpert, Zach Randolph, Kosta Koufos, Ben McLemore, and approximately $16 million under the salary cap to make moves during the season/
The NBA has yet to determine how the trade bonus in the contract of John Wall would be applied if he's traded this season.
Sources say, however, that interest in trading for Wall is almost nonexistent at this point.
"There is a 99 percent chance that we would not trade for Wall, but I need to be prepared for that 1 percent," one team executive told ESPN.
Wall's trade bonus calls for him to be paid 15 percent of what is owed on is contract if he's traded. If Wall were traded now, the trade kicker could theoretically include his remaining $14.3 million this season and $123.6 million of his supermax set to begin in 19-20. For salary-cap purposes, $5.17 million would be added to each season of Wall's deal for the team acquiring him.
There's no precedent for Wall's situation and not something the NBA and NBPA saw coming during CBA talks.
"Granted, every player in this league can be traded, but the Wall extension right now is the toughest contract I have seen a team try to move in 20 years," one team executive told ESPN. "I couldn't look my owner in the eye and tell him there is value with the player even if we didn't have to trade anything of significance."
Dwight Howard underwent an L4-L5 lumbar microdiscectomy on Friday. The procedure went as planned with no complications.
The procedure was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins in Marina Del Rey, CA, and was recommended after consultation with Dr. Watkins and Wizards Director of Medical Services and Orthopedist Dr. Wiemi Douoguih determined that the disc herniation was causing severe nerve irritation and gluteal pain.
Howard’s progress will be re-evaluated in approximately two to three months.
Joakim Noah has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies.
The 33-year-old Noah was waived by the Knicks prior to the start of this season after clashing with then-head coach Jeff Hornacek. He hasn't played since last January.
Noah would add front court depth behind Marc Gasol.
Dwight Howard will likely need a procedure to provide relief from a gluteal injury that has frequently sidelined him this season.
Howard received the recommendation from a nerve specialist in Los Angeles. If Howard undergoes the surgery, he could miss a significant portion of the season.
Howard aggravated a piriformis muscle injury in a Nov. 18 game against Portland, and has missed 12 of the Wizards' 21 games this season.
Howard signed a two-year, $11 million free-agent deal with the Wizards during the offseason.
Our first look at the NBA’s official awards through November, 2018.