Golden State Warriors WiretapMarch 2018 Golden State Warriors Wiretap

Kevin Durant Blames Technicals On Desire To Repeat

Mar 31, 2018 9:59 AM

Kevin Durant attempted to explain why he has received more technical fouls this season.

"It's just my emotions and passion for the game," Durant said after Friday's practice session. "After winning that championship (last season), I learned that much hadn't changed. I thought it would fill a certain [void]. It didn't. That's when I realized in the offseason that the only thing that matters is this game and how much work you put into it. Everything else off the court, social media, perception, isn't important. What people say, how they view you, it's not important.

"What we did as a team was special, and I want to experience that again. My love and passion for the game has [blossomed] because I understand that's what it's all about, and I'm pouring all of this [newfound thirst] into this game. But I know I have to keep [my fire] under control, and I will."

Prior to the 2017-18 season getting underway, Durant had only one ejection in his first 10 years in the league. He's up to five this season.

"It's just a part of the evolution that I'm going through," Durant told ESPN. "I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect. I don't have all the answers. It will probably take the offseason for me to assess, 'OK, let's figure out how to tone this down a little.' But I'm comfortable sharing this because all I care about is that," he said as he pointed to the practice court.

"I love this game, and I'm going to do whatever I can to help my team get back to where we were last year. That's what I'm excited for. That's why you're seeing this passion from me. Before, I used to care about the game and the lifestyle. Now, all I care about is my love for the game, the pureness of the game. This is me."

Chris Haynes/ESPN

Tags: Kevin Durant, Golden State Warriors, NBA

Discuss
Kevin Durant Ejected In First Game Back From Rib Injury

Mar 30, 2018 10:41 AM

Kevin Durant was ejected in his first game back after a six-game absence from a rib injury.

Durant argued with referee Tre Maddox, claiming he was fouled as he drove to the basket.

Durant fell to the court and then immediately got up and into the face of Maddox. After promptly being hit with one technical foul, Durant ran toward the official again, earning his second T, which resulted in an automatic ejection.

Bill Kennedy issued a statement at the request of a pool reporter:

"Mr. Durant was ejected due to the fact of two technical fouls. The first technical foul was issued for vulgarity. After the first technical foul was issued, the official tried to walk away, started to walk away, and the vulgarity escalated, and then he was assessed a second technical foul for the escalation of the vulgarity, resulting in an ejection."

Chris Haynes/ESPN

Tags: Golden State Warriors, NBA

Discuss
Steve Kerr: No Way Stephen Curry Will Play In First Round

Mar 26, 2018 10:40 AM

Steve Kerr told the media there is no chance Stephen Curry will return from his Grade 2 MCL sprain to play in the first round.

"There's no way he's playing in the first round," Kerr said during his pregame media availability. "There's no way. I mean, he'll be re-evaluated in three weeks. So, yeah, we have to be ready to play without him and see how he's coming along."

Curry, however, was more optimistic.

"Hopefully, I prove what coach said was wrong and put myself in position to get back as soon as possible," Curry said. "But right now, who knows? Just try to do my job in the rehab process and get back as soon as I can."

Curry's re-evaluation date is April 14, three days after the season finale at Utah.

"Based on what I've been told, three weeks is a good benchmark to re-evaluate and reassess where I'm at in my progress," Curry said. "Mentally, for me, [I'm just] staying positive and staying upbeat."

Chris Haynes/ESPN

Tags: Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Quinn Cook, Warriors Have Yet To Discuss Extending Season

Mar 25, 2018 12:16 PM

Quinn Cook is under a standard one-year, two-way contract.

If the Warriors decide to retain Cook for the playoffs, his contract would be converted into a minimum deal.

If the Warriors retain him for the playoffs, his contract would be converted into a minimum deal.

"I want to secure a guaranteed deal," Cook told ESPN. "I know I'm an NBA player, and I want to continuing proving that."

The Warriors and Cook have yet to open discussions on extending his season.

Chris Haynes/ESPN

Tags: Quinn Cook, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss
Stephen Curry Out Three Weeks With Grade 2 MCL Sprain

Mar 24, 2018 10:41 PM

Stephen Curry has been diagnosed with a Grade 2 MCL sprain and will be re-evaluated in three weeks.

Curry has already missed 21 games and could return near the start of the playoffs.

Curry injured his knee when JaVale McGee fell onto his left leg.

Curry struggled to get to the locker room and did not return.

Said McGee: "I was just trying to block a shot, and I ran into him."

ESPN

Tags: Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Stephen Curry Set For MRI On MCL Sprain

Mar 24, 2018 1:56 AM

Stephen Curry will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine the severity of his MCL sprain.

JaVale McGee fell on the left leg of Curry during Friday's game. Curry immediately began hoping and limping in pain.

"I was just trying to block a shot and I ran into him," McGee said.

Curry told ESPN in comical fashion, "I'm good. Well, at least it's not my ankle."

"We'll see what the MRI says tomorrow," Steve Kerr said. "There's not a lot we can do or predict. Kind of a strange, cruel twist of fate, you know. He rehabs his ankle for the last couple of weeks, gets that strong, and then the knee goes. So we'll see what happens. Keep our fingers crossed."

Durant suffered a sprained MCL late last season but was able to recover in time for the start of the playoffs. Curry's MCL injury occurred later in the season.

Chris Haynes/ESPN

Tags: Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Stephen Curry Targeting Friday Return From Ankle Injury

Mar 20, 2018 11:31 AM

Stephen Curry is targeting a return from his right ankle injury on Friday against the Hawks.

Curry will have his ankle re-evaluated on Tuesday.

Curry has missed the past six games.

Curry tweaked his ankle on March 8 at home while playing the San Antonio Spurs. It was his fourth ankle injury of the season.

The Warriors are 13-8 when Curry has been sidelined this season, compared to 40-10 when he's in the lineup.

Chris Haynes, Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

Tags: Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Joe Lacob: We'll Build Around Core Until We Decide Maybe We Shouldn't

Mar 19, 2018 4:13 PM

Joe Lacob said he discusses contingency plans for endless best- and worst-case scenarios “every day” for the Warriors.

The Warriors have looked to the Spurs for how to build a sustainable title contender.

“They’re a great role model for how to sustain it, but I have no idea where we’ll be in five or 10 years,” Bob Myers told The Bay Area News Group. “I’m not sure they knew where they would be. But all you can do is work.”

“If we want to do what the Spurs have done, we’re going to have to find a way to bridge to the next era,” Steve Kerr told The Bay Area News Group. “I don’t know when that is, but this isn’t going to last forever.”

As good as Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green are now, he realizes that the prime of players is always a fleeting thing.

“Steph is not going to play like this forever. KD is not going to be KD forever,” Kerr said. “How do we build that bridge through personnel and through continuity? I also have to do a great job with my coaching, so hopefully I’ll be a part of that bridge. If I don’t do a good job of coaching, I won’t be. But I know I have the faith of Joe, Peter (Guber) and Bob, and I have the faith in them. I think we have the structure in place to really remain competitive and stable.”

“He’s proven that it’s not about the money or the luxury tax. One thing I know about Joe is he wants to win,” Green said. “He wants to win every game. Up to this point, he’s proven that. Obviously there’s decisions coming up in the next couple of years that have to be made. So we’ll see what happens.”

Green and Thompson will be free agents in upcoming seasons.

“We’ll build around that core until we decide maybe we shouldn’t. But right now it feels pretty good,” Lacob said. “These guys are all performing at a great level. We love them as part of our organization. I don’t really see doing anything major. But you never really know. We have to evaluate when the season is over. It’s very hard when you’re in the middle of it all to see it objectively.”

Lacob floated the possibility of the Warriors make a major move that shakes up their roster.

“Maybe we will emphasize continuity. Or maybe we will make a big move,” Lacob said. “We’re looking at different options, given different things playing out in different ways. I think you should always be doing that.”

There have been reports in the media that the Warriors have internally discussed the possibility of trading for Anthony Davis.

Mark Media/San Jose Mercury News

Tags: Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Trade Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss
Kevin Durant Out Two Weeks With Rib Injury

Mar 16, 2018 10:46 PM

Kevin Durant will be out at least two weeks after an MRI revealed an incomplete rib-cartilage fracture.

The Warriors will also be without Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, leaving Draymond Green as the only remaining All-Star available.

"It's just irritating because you just want to hoop," Durant said. "As far as playoffs and all that stuff, I don't think anybody is thinking that far down the line. Just taking it day by day."

Durant suffered the injury in last Sunday's loss to the Wolves.

Baxter Holmes/ESPN

Tags: Kevin Durant, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Klay Thompson Out Several Games With Sprained Right Thumb

Mar 14, 2018 2:47 PM

Klay Thompson will likely miss several games with a sprained right thumb.

Thompson is expected to return by the end of the month.

The Warriors are also without Stephen Curry, who is recovering from another sprained ankle.

Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

Tags: Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Stephen Curry Out At Least One More Week
Stephen Curry will be reevaluated in one week and miss at least the next four games.

Associated Press

Stephen Curry Tweaks Right Ankle
Stephen Curry has suffered several right ankle injuries this season.

Anthony Slater/The Athletic

Kevin Durant Confirms He'll Re-Sign With Warriors
Kevin Durant was asked if it is as much of a foregone conclusion that he will re-sign with the Warriors as the NBA believes it to be.

Anthony Slater/The Athletic