Dwight Howard has told the Magic that he will not surrender his option to become a free agent following the season, according to sources.
Howard told the Magic that staying with the franchise is his first choice, according to a source.
Multiple reports earlier on Wednesday indicated that Howard agreed to formally opt-in for the 12-13 season.
But Howard and agent Dan Fegan clarified their position during a conference call with Alex Martins, Rich De Vos and other members of the DeVos family.
Howard "didn't fully understand the ramifications" of surrendering his ETO, according to a source, and did so because the Magic threatened to trade him before the deadline if he didn't make that commitment.
Howard participated in the conference call shortly before boarding the team bus to play the Spurs.
Officials from the Magic were not surprised by the change in decision from Howard.
The Magic now have less than 24 hours to decide if they will trade Howard.