I am down for it, if it's Hermida or Hammer + midlevel prospects
unfinished_bznz
Freshman
And1: 0
Location: City of Caprices and Impalas...Miami-Dade County,FL

Re: Manny being Marlinny? 

Post#2 » by unfinished_bznz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 am

hell yea. Im down too.

First the Heat, get reinforcement, then the Dolphins make changes, Our Marlins are stepping up. We gotta wait and see wassup wit the Canes too.
"We got that fire down here"

(Miami Heat)
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#3 » by daddyfivestar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 am

Here in SoCal - listening to the just ended Sox Angels game on radio, the Angels announcers were talking abt Manny to Marlins the whole game like it was nearly done deal.
But they didn't know the proposed Marlins players. Ideas?
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#4 » by Lane1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:20 am

here is what the Palm Beach Post just posted

Marlins near deal for Manny Ramirez
Click-2-Listen
By TOM D'ANGELO and JOE CAPOZZI

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MIAMI GARDENS — The Marlins have reached a tentative agreement to acquire Manny Ramirez from Boston as part of a three-team deal that will send Jeremy Hermida and three Florida prospects to Pittsburgh, an American League source said Wednesday night.

Officials with the Marlins and Red Sox did not confirm the deal but the source said a tentative agreement was reached about 10 p.m. Wednesday

The Marlins will get Ramirez for Hermida, right-hander Ryan Tucker and two other prospects, with those four players being flipped to Pittsburgh for outfielder Jason Bay and left-hander John Grabow.

The Red Sox will send the Marlins enough cash to cover the remainder of Ramirez contract, as well as an unnamed prospect.

Pittsburgh gets Hermida and two prospects - two from Florida and one from Boston. One of the Marlins' prospects is believed to be Tucker.

The Marlins were one of several teams the Red Sox had discussions with about the enigmatic outfielder.

The Red Sox were seeking a big right-handed hitter in return to protect David Ortiz in the lineup, something the Marlins could not offer. The trade with Pittsburgh met that need by bringing them Bay.

In an interview earlier Wednesday on radio station 790-AM, Marlins President David Samson did not rule out the possibility of a deal.

"We're spending all day to try to figure out a way to get better, to stay good, to try to figure out if we can win this thing,'' Samson said.

"We're trying everything," Samson went on to say. "We're looking everywhere. We are making calls, getting calls. We are not going to be stupid, though. We are not going to make a trade that hurts us in the coming years terribly. We are not going to make a trade where the cost is too much. But on the other hand you know us - we will do just about anything. So we are looking at stuff.''

Ramirez is earning $20 million this season, which is about $2 million less than the entire Marlins payroll.

Ramirez, who is represented by Scott Boras, is seeing a contract around $100 million for four years after his contract expires at season's end.

Boston also had spoken to the Dodgers, Phillies and possibly the Mets about Ramirez, reports said.

Ramirez comes with heavy baggage on and off the field.

A 12-time All-Star with a career .312 batting average and 510 home runs, Ramirez is known for his eccentric, unpredictable behavior. He could be a disruption in a clubhouse that is so young. He has had several run-ins this season, including ones with teammate Kevin Youkilis and one with the team's traveling secretary, whom he shoved to the ground.

Ramirez criticized upper management recently and then came under fire for sitting out the first game of the recent series with the Yankees. He is battling a knee problems and one report said he asked the Red Sox to place him on the disabled last weekend.

On the field he is similar to several of the Marlins, a power hitter who is shaky defensively. Ramirez was hitting .301 entering Wednesday with 20 home runs and 68 RBI. He is fifth in the American League with a .399 on-base percentage and 10th in slugging.

Ramirez has finished in the top four in the AL slugging in each of the past nine seasons

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/co ... mirez.html
County of Wade
Veteran
And1: 7,818

Post#5 » by County of Wade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:49 am

Hope that story is true. But I'll wait until Gammons or Olney say its done. Especially Gammons with all his Boston ties.
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Jakespeare » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:50 am

Looks too complicated for it to be finished before tommorow's deadline.
SJ2100
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by SJ2100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:51 pm

Hermida is a good player, but he isn't a star OF and I doubt he ever will be a real star. Would be a solid longterm starter, I was shocked to see that he is still only 24!, but we do have Maybin waiting in the wings to man CF, and Cody Ross could shift over to RF next year. Still, would have preferred to keep him over Willingham, based on age and defensive/speed combination, but for Manny, you gotta give him up.

Giving up Tucker hurts a little, he could be our future closer if we held on to him. But, there is no place for him in the starting rotation with Nolasco-Olsen-Volstad-JJ-Sanchez-A. Miller all under 25 years old. I would have liked to see us deal a minor league starter instead, maybe a guy like VandenHurk and Badenhop, but obviously you have to give something to get something, and we may have another potential closer playing in the minors that is actually closing games right now.

Getting to Manny, obviously he is a mess defensively and we would probably have some serious problems in that department, as Willingham is below average as well and Ross is decent, but doesn't have amazing range in CF. I wonder which one of them is gonna move over to RF, it reminds me of when we had Sheffield in right, or even worse, Miggy in right. Also have to plug the 2-hole in the order, I would think Uggla since he has shown that he is comfortable there. He, Cantu, and Ross are our only options to bat 2nd. Anyway, overall, Manny's star power plus his amazing hitting ability alone make this deal completely worth it. Follow up by dealing for that LHP Rhodes from Seattle, and we might be cooking...

1. Hanley
2. Uggla
3. Cantu
4. Manny
5. Willingham
6. Jacobs
7. Ross
8. Baker/Treanor
SJ2100
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by SJ2100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:49 pm

Here is ESPN's Blog with updates throughout the day. Seems that it is indeed Hermida, not Willingham, in the deal, although Tucker is not definitely in it. We might also be reeiving Grabow, LHP from Pittsburgh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline

Also, according to this guy, we got Arthur Rhodes, the situational relief LHP from Seattle, for minor league P Gaby Hernandez. Not sure if it's true, but he is citing ESPN's Jayson Stark on the TV show First Take this morning:

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83808
SJ2100
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by SJ2100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says Tucker is not included in the deal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8397286
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#10 » by Flash3 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 pm

I have mixed feelings about Manny.

He's a player just like Shaq, that is great when he wants to be, but the other way when he doesn't.

He obviously doesn't give it his all every night, but he is going into a FA year and should be looking for big money, so he has incentive to play well to end the season to be able to get that one last huge money deal he covets.

IDK. -- I've been see-sawing back and forth since yesterday afternoon when I 1st heard of it.

btw, I LOVE how Lane plugged this board with his little post on the Heat board. :rofl:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Lane1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:16 pm

I think we have to make another move for a RFer - either Willingham or Jacobs has to go (moving Willingham to 1st)... preferably a lefty hitter who could bat 2nd.. but Willy in RF with Manny in LF is nauseating. Otherwise I could see them moving Willingham to the bench, and Fredo in CF with Ross moving to right field.

In any event, I don't see them moving Uggla out of a slugger's spot. I'd move Ross to 2nd before Uggla. One of the reasons you're getting Manny is to get Uggla pitches to hit.

they'll probably put Manny cleanup, but I'd bat him 5th, and put Jacobs or Uggla in front of him. Probably Jake to make it Righty-Lefty-Righty in the lineup
SJ2100
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by SJ2100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:52 pm

I doubt they will be able to swing another deal for a RF after the Manny deal, it seems like Manny is going to come down to the wire as is, not sure what kind of RFs we could get our hands on, or if there is enough time. I agree though, that Willingham + Manny is atrocious and neither should be a RF. We also could make a follow up move for a CF and move Ross over, think Juan Pierre is available?

As far as the 2nd hole, if we can't make any moves, I agree we need Uggla in the middle of the lineup, but Ross doesn't have a very high OBP and shouldn't be a two-hitter either. Even though Cantu has been hot hitting 3rd, Fredi might have to consider moving him up. But, we're trading for Manny to bat him cleanup, no doubt about that.

I agree Lane, we need a follow up move for a 2nd hitter at either CF or RF, possibly moving Willingham or Jacobs in the deal.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#13 » by Flash3 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Likewise,

I'd rather get another hitter in that line-up instead of a Manny Ramirez.

Someone who might fit us better (in the clubhouse AND in the field defensively)

Any updates? -- I'm up here in Charlotte, and sports radio over here is talking about this as if it's a done deal.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Lane1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm

I really think the clubhouse aspect is overrated. A) this is only for 2 months 2) Manny needs to play his ass off to dispel his image and to earn the 4 year/$100 million contract he wants C) winning breeds chemistry not the other way around. If he leads them on a tear, no one in the dugoutwill be crying about Hermida.

By the way, his career stats vs Jamie Moyer, Marlins killer?

18 for 53 with 10 HRs. LOLLOLLOL
adambigbucks
Junior

Post#15 » by adambigbucks » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm

[/quote]By the way, his career stats vs Jamie Moyer, Marlins killer?

18 for 53 with 10 HRs. LOLLOLLOL[/quote]

Nice point. That alone might be worth the deal since we are probably going to see Moyer 2 more times this year...According to rotoworld this deal is either nearing ever closer to completion:

Jul. 31 - 1:18 pm et

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates have agreed to the prospects they'd receive in a Manny Ramirez-Jason Bay-Jeremy Hermida deal.
That was supposed to be the biggest remaining hurdle. If this is correct, then talks are anything but dead. WPGB's Rocco DeMaro says that, with the Pirates now content, the biggest hurdle could be dollars for the Marlins.

Or that it is not going to happen:

Jul. 31 - 1:43 pm et

ESPN's Jayson Stark said an official with one of the clubs said the three-team Red Sox-Marlins-Pirates deal is dead.
According to Stark's source: "The Pirates are blaming the Marlins. The Marlins are blaming the Pirates. And the Red Sox aren't too happy with either of them." We fully expect another update five minutes from now saying a deal is nearly done.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Post#16 » by Heat3 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Manny or not....I still don't want the city to fund the Marlins stadium!
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

SJ2100
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by SJ2100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:57 pm

Looking like talks have stalled and the deal is dead. One more hour til the deadline, so somebody is going to have to up the ante or else this is over...
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Lane1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 pm

well, Marlins were/are dealing from a position of strength -- they didn't HAVE to get Manny. It'd be nice, but not mandatory (like catcher is - although maybe they figured with Manny they could live with a catcher who cant hit). Maybe if the deal dies, it galvanizes the team psyche even more.
jmbflame21
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#19 » by jmbflame21 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm

something still tells me that manny is still on the move....its said that the dodgers are getting into talks now (doubtful a deal goes through) and the marlins are still not out of it!
Image Image
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Lane1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 pm

mlbtraderumors.com now saying that MLB.com has Bay being traded to the D-Rays for 2 prospects

looks like the deal is really dead, I can't see the Sox trading Manny without getting a suitable power bat in return to replace him in the lineup.

Return to Miami Marlins