ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 146,125

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#821 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,327

Post#822 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM

Post#823 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 2:54 pm

Read on Twitter
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#824 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 14, 2024 2:55 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
greg4012 wrote:Jovic and Da Silva are not similar prospects. Any overlap in skill they have are things you want every player on the court to be able to do.

Do people really still think 6’11 Jovic will get future minutes at SF?

If anything, having a versatile defender and 3 pt shooter like Da Silva backing up SF and PF allows Miami to level up size wise and gives Jovic more opportunity to play a perimeter game offensively without being exploited by quicker guys on the other end.

Can someone help me understand where this sentiment that Jovic and Da Silva are clear overlap is coming from?

If it’s just finding reasons to put down the prospect bc of his age, it’s ok to say so. It’s perfectly valid to prefer the upside of youth in draft prospects.

The things he brings at PF are similar to what Jovic brings there (Shooting, size, D). He also brings similar skills to Jaime at SF (Shooting, some ball handling, D). That's where the whole consolidate skills point comes from. However, if you do that at least one of them is gonna suffer minutes wise and get their development stunted. If the Heat like him, he's gonna get play time. He's not some young raw player learning how to play ball. Jaime in particular is already getting held back by Jimmy still being here. Imagine you add ANOTHER ready to play now small forward who's skill demands to be used. The bench is for vets who already finished products or young raw developmental pieces.

And on top of all this, we have clear holes at other parts of the team, and limited draft capital to address them in the coming years.

You guy realize that either one or both of Highsmith and Caleb are gone next year, guys whom take up majority of our Wing/PF minutes from the bench and from when we slide down in size. Da Silva can now in reverse slide up Miami going bigger and no Jovic and Da Silva are not the same offensively how they play nor defensively. Da Silva is a switch heavy defender with great leaping ability, and speed to which Jovic does not posses, he plays far more above the rim. Having them both be capable 3pt shooters is not an overlap but a requirement surely lacking here. On defense Da Silva can be the guy who plays free safety capable of helping Bam block shots from the weakside, and using his size to corral players into bad shots. Not every drafted player has to be this defacto starter quality level player, its ok to go get a great backup or wing defender in the draft on cheap labor, getting you that Glue guy your missing.

Getting someone like da Silva makes the whole group better. Keeps us from settling for the G league or off the street reclamation projects as bench players. Having someone like da Silva come off the bench is an absolute weapon. Almost like a front court 6th man with potential to be a high quality starter. Even makes us flexible in trades.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#825 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 pm

AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have Edey pegged going to play for his hometown team in Toronto. I don't think we are drafting him to be Bam's backup and he's not quick enough to play in Spo's switch style defense. Spo loves Bam at Center and makes it more practical to draft someone like da Silva who could compliment Bam better but also fit out our style of play to the tee.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 225

Post#826 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is he actually not much bigger than Devin Carter? Carter is 6'2.25" without shoes with a 6'8.75" wingspan. Weighs 193.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,252

Post#827 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:34 pm

twix2500 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:STAY AWAY FROM :

Tristan da Silva - an Older less exciting Jovic, career MLE guy IF he pans out

Johnny Furphy - 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan, can't create, we trying to for a new smaller Duncan?

Tyler Kolek - Tiny person, 6'1 and not quick - you're done

Jared McCain - again 6'3 wingspan below average athlete - that's not going to work

Kyle Filipowski - Tall but T-rex arms, jumper doesn't look awesome

DaRon Holmes - tweener size

Could be a steal for us :

Kel'el Ware - Just scorers like a natural baller, 9-4.5 standing reach + quickness + his touch = gold

Devin Carter - tough, strong, long, good athlete - improved jumper away from being a steal

Isaiah Collier - great first step, can slash and create, 6'5 wingspan 205 pounds - Also an improved jumpshot away from being a stud

Zach Edey - 7'11 wingspan is just bonkers, you combine it with his touch and it's a gamble worth taking

Carlton Carrington - great size for a PG, super young and fluid, could become something
Carrington is a hugh mystery player. He has improved his stock by showing he is working hard on his jumper. His stock is all over the place because he was such an unrefined player his freshman year. I assume he gonna have to perform well in private workouts as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My early comparison for Bub Carrington is an advanced version of Immanuel Quickley. He has very similar measurables and limitations, and as prospects they work similar parts of the court.

The biggest things for Bub are (1) more consistently extend his shotmaking to 3-point range; and (2) gain enough strength and power to improve paint penetration and rim finishing (this should also help him as a defender).

While stylistically similar in play style and athletic traits, I'm seeing signs that Bub is just a notch above Quickley as a prospect. He's a little longer--nearly 6'4 vs 6'2 (same wingspan), may be gaining weight a bit easier (both entered college around 175; Bub just weighed 195 at the combine; Quickley weighed 186 at the combine), and progressing at a younger age than Quickley.

Bub will play his entire rookie season as a 19 year old, whereas Quickley was a 21 year old for his rookie season (played 2 years in college).

Quickley had similarly deficient slashing numbers for his 2 years in college. His rim finishing has gotten better in the NBA (above 65% after his rookie season). If Bub can improve this part of his game at a similar rate, I think he's well positioned to be a Quickley+ level guard in the NBA.

The measurables yesterday (including the weight progress) have Bub quickley becoming one of my top targets among those likely to be available at 15.
Seabass777
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Post#828 » by Seabass777 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:39 pm

Should we draft Bronny?
Could be the first domino to fall to bring back Lebron

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Read on Twitter
?s=46
"Til the last second...Til the last man... We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!"-Together We Rise. #HEATLifer...
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,252

Post#829 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#830 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 14, 2024 4:10 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have a felling Bub is gonna be a very productive pro at the next level. Maybe not his rookie season, but when he starts to bulk up in a few seasons.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#831 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm

Seabass777 wrote:Should we draft Bronny?

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Nah, Bronny currently isn't a nba level player and Lebron has distanced himself from that whole draft Bronny, you get him stuff recently. Bronny should go stay a couple more seasons in college and develop some actual NBA skills on a team that can use him properly. He'll be out of the league within a couple seasons if he goes now.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#832 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 4:41 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have Edey pegged going to play for his hometown team in Toronto. I don't think we are drafting him to be Bam's backup and he's not quick enough to play in Spo's switch style defense. Spo loves Bam at Center and makes it more practical to draft someone like da Silva who could compliment Bam better but also fit out our style of play to the tee.

I don't care if they draft, trade or sign a defensive center but this team needs a defensive center when Bam is on the bench and having one of the biggest players in the league under your basket would have to help that greatly, it's not like we don't see a ton of zone that can be schemed to keep the center near the basket and if Miami can develop him into a starter level player, you could consider moving Bam to PF and quite possibly if Jovic develops his parameter defense, maybe you could shift him to SF to have a huge front line, Jaquez Jr to SG and bring in a scoring PG. There's the potential of a lot of mismatches in size for Miami depending on how the younger Heat players develop or are developed.
Seabass777
Lead Assistant

Post#833 » by Seabass777 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Nah, Bronny currently isn't an nba level player and Lebron has distanced himself from that whole draft Bronny, you get him stuff recently. Bronny should go stay a couple more seasons in college and develop some actual NBA skills on a team that can use him properly. He'll be out of the league within a couple seasons if he goes now.

Bronny ain’t going back to school tho
"Til the last second...Til the last man... We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!"-Together We Rise. #HEATLifer...
Seabass777
Lead Assistant

Post#834 » by Seabass777 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:11 pm

AirP. wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't care if they draft, trade or sign a defensive center but this team needs a defensive center when Bam is on the bench and having one of the biggest players in the league under your basket would have to help that greatly, it's not like we don't see a ton of zone that can be schemed to keep the center near the basket and if Miami can develop him into a starter level player, you could consider moving Bam to PF and quite possibly if Jovic develops his parameter defense, maybe you could shift him to SF to have a huge front line, Jaquez Jr to SG and bring in a scoring PG. There's the potential of a lot of mismatches in size for Miami depending on how the younger Heat players develop or are developed.

I could get down with drafting Edey. I love the matchup opportunities it presents and the opportunity for Bam to get back to his natural position at the 4.

If Meyers freaking Leonard could play that role next to Bam and those lineups had success,Edey sure as hell could as well.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#835 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Seabass777 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Nah, Bronny currently isn't an nba level player and Lebron has distanced himself from that whole draft Bronny, you get him stuff recently. Bronny should go stay a couple more seasons in college and develop some actual NBA skills on a team that can use him properly. He'll be out of the league within a couple seasons if he goes now.

Bronny ain’t going back to school tho

He still has until the 29th to decide to stay in the draft or go back to school.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#836 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm

Look at Devin Carter from 2 seasons ago, compared to now. And Bronny has a much cleaner form than Devin Carter had then. If Bronny goes to a good program and develops into a player like him after a few seasons, nba teams would be jumping all over him.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#837 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Seabass777 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I have Edey pegged going to play for his hometown team in Toronto. I don't think we are drafting him to be Bam's backup and he's not quick enough to play in Spo's switch style defense. Spo loves Bam at Center and makes it more practical to draft someone like da Silva who could compliment Bam better but also fit out our style of play to the tee.

I could get down with drafting Edey. I love the matchup opportunities it presents and the opportunity for Bam to get back to his natural position at the 4.

If Meyers freaking Leonard could play that role next to Bam and those lineups had success,Edey sure as hell could as well.

On defense Meyers was a guy who could guard stronger post players to allow Bam to not pick up early fouls and then on the offensive end he could be used as a spacer since he was a solid 3pt shooter who was a career 39% 3pt shooter.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,621

Post#838 » by twix2500 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:28 pm

AirP. wrote:
Seabass777 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

On defense Meyers was a guy who could guard stronger post players to allow Bam to not pick up early fouls and then on the offensive end he could be used as a spacer since he was a solid 3pt shooter who was a career 39% 3pt shooter.
I just wanna keep reminding you guys Spo benched Meyers and Olynyk for Crowder

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,621

Post#839 » by twix2500 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm

I'm all for a center like Kel'El but you are not convincing me Spo is

AirP.
RealGM

Post#840 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 6:35 pm

twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Seabass777 wrote:

I just wanna keep reminding you guys Spo benched Meyers and Olynyk for Crowder

Well sure, Crowder was a much better overall player. Meyers Leonard started 95 regular season games in his career and 49 of those starts were in Miami the bubble year.

Return to Miami Heat