ImageImage

What If Woelful's Right?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#101 » by xTitan » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:31 am

LUKE23 wrote:I have yet to see a tangible argument made as to why a top 7 pick for Redd is "so little". I think Gordon will be a better player than Redd without question, even if it's not his rookie year. I'm not expecting a contender next year, what I do want is a team that can compete for several years, not a stop gap team with no ceiling.

But yes, I think Gordon will be a better player than Redd. Trust me, I'm not alone in that thought.

Why are you so sold on Gordon? i think he has a chance to be a good player I don't know that I see anything great.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,376

Post#102 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:33 am

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why are you so sold on Gordon? i think he has a chance to be a good player I don't know that I see anything great.

Young, intelligent kid, NBA range, elite athleticism, led the Big 10 in scoring as a freshman.

Honestly, what's not to like?
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#103 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:34 am

Elite athletic ability paired with great overall scoring ability (longrange/midrange/attacking the rim). He'll never be a good creator, but I see definite potential as an elite offensive player that is at least solid defensively given strength + wingpsan + quickness.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Post#104 » by smauss » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:34 am

Personally, I'm not in favor of trading Redd to move up, unless its #1 or #2. I, like CBQ, want to see Mo and CV gone first and would gladly put a package together with one or both of them, if possible, to move up or maybe multiple picks in the later first round.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,782

Post#105 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:35 am

People are so frustrated with the Buck's lack of success, that they take it out on Redd.

And he certainly does not fit in to the category of "automatic improvement by subtraction" that so many here advocate. He is not like Artest after the brawl or Randolph after all his problems in Portland where a team is simply better off without said player. Redd is a very good NBA scorer, and to think that Eric Gordon or that Italian kid are going to come in and replace his scoring and automatically be better players is silly.

I wouldn't shed any tears if Hammond traded Redd in a transaction that reshaped our roster, maybe it is time for a change, but this thought that Redd is garbage or the reason for our losing or someone we need to dump... that is simply wrong.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#106 » by europa » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:35 am

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Very turnover prone, highly suspect decision making, so-so percentage shooter, appears to have some major mental toughness issues. Those are off the top of my head.
Nothing will not break me.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#107 » by xTitan » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:36 am

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Young, intelligent kid, NBA range, elite athleticism, led the Big 10 in scoring as a freshman.

His mental toughness, ability to defend, perhaps even his physical toughness.....he played small in big games......those are a few things. Having said that I actually like him, just don't think he is a no-brainer type player.
europa
RealGM

Post#108 » by europa » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:38 am

His mental toughness, ability to defend, perhaps even his physical toughness.....he played small in big games......those are a few things. Having said that I actually like him, just don't think he is a no-brainer type player.

I don't see greatness with him but I think he could be a good player in time. However, in my opinion he looks like he needs at least another year of college ball and maybe two. I can understand why that won't happen but I think his game would benefit greatly from at least one more year in school.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#109 » by xTitan » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:39 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't see greatness with him but I think he could be a good player in time. However, in my opinion he looks like he needs at least another year of college ball and maybe two. I can understand why that won't happen but I think his game would benefit greatly from at least one more year in school.

You have become Epi :o
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#110 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:42 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He physically-dominated pretty much everyone he faced as a freshman. His body is ready, so I don't agree he needed one or two more years, no reason for him to go back to school. If he didn't injure his wrist and Sampson doesn't get canned, you're hearing him in discussion for the #3 pick (and he was in discussion for #3 up until February this year).
europa
RealGM

Post#111 » by europa » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:44 am

You have become Epi :o

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult. I'm pretty sure I know what epi would say, though. :D

Seriously, I think epi's comments about Gordon have been spot on. Gordon could be a good player in this league but he has a lot of work to do to get there. So I can't see how he's automatically going to be better than Redd. Maybe he will be, but there's also a chance, and arguably a very good chance, he won't be.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,435

Post#112 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:45 am

Honestly if we have to go into next season with Gordon going against Rip Hamilton we are going to get killed.

Redd may give up a lot of points, but at least we know he can average 20 pts a game in the NBA.

Gordon could end up as an undersized bench player.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#113 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:47 am

randy84 wrote:Honestly if we have to go into next season with Gordon going against Rip Hamilton we are going to get killed.

Redd may give up a lot of points, but at least we know he can average 20 pts a game in the NBA.

Care to state why he could end up a bench player? Nothing about his game really points to that.
smalls
Junior
And1: 0

Post#114 » by smalls » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:49 am

after what i witnessed last year from our back court, i would luv to see some sort of westbrook mayo/gordon backcourt. so I am all for a deal that nets us another high lotto pick with redd, although I would like to reiterate my complete and total disgust for and of anything Tim Thomas.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#115 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:50 am

The thing with the Redd vs. Gordon argument is this:

if you don't think Gordon is going to be as good as Redd, then you basically just think Gordon can't average 24 ppg at 45% and bring little else to the table. If you think Gordon cannot do that, then I will respect that, but disagree.

Redd does nothing else even average on the floor but score, nothing.
randy84
RealGM

Post#116 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:55 am

First he is undersized for the major of SG in the NBA. He is 6'3 most are 6'5 or more.

Second the last half of the season at Indiana he was horrible. He took bad shots, had problems handling the ball, and really didn't lead his team anywhere.

I mean against Penn State he was 8 of 24. That doesn't sound like someone who is better than Michael Redd.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,204

Post#117 » by midranger » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:57 am

Mike Redd has never taken bad shots, is a great ball handler, and has lead his team to great places.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,835

Post#118 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jun 4, 2008 3:58 am

randy84 wrote:Honestly if we have to go into next season with Gordon going against Rip Hamilton we are going to get killed.

The same could be said about almost everybody in the draft though, that's why there is a risk involved with every pick, first round at least.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that Gordon would potentially be available to us @ 8 in the lottery, I would have been ecstatic. In his freshman class he was on the same plateau as Rose, Beasley, and Mayo so if teams want to sour on him for a shaky end of the season, as 19 year old freshman BTW, let that be their loss and our gain. An inch too short for a 'prototypical SG' doesn't bother me at all, Gordon will be playing defense with his arms and his wingspan, which tested out very well, so no worries on the defensive end.

In other news, I love how the new RealGM mock has us taking Augustin @ 8 and Love falling to 15. No chance Love falls that far and I doubt we'd pass him up based off the reports. Again, I'd very much enjoy seeing Love and Bogut play together up front, but would be very happy with Gordon.
Go Bucks!
randy84
RealGM

Post#119 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 4:02 am

If we have Love and Bogut upfront, where is Yi playing? Or does Yi now not have any potential?
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,835

Post#120 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jun 4, 2008 4:05 am

randy84 wrote:If we have Love and Bogut upfront, where is Yi playing? Or does Yi now not have any potential?

Didn't say Love has to start, he seems like a team player. To me that's 3 interchangeable parts, each bringing something different to the table (Love's outlet passes, superior perimeter shooting compared to Bogut; Bogut's size and high post passing ability; Yi's overall offensive potential and versatility)
Go Bucks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks