ImageImage

Official Bucks Player Workout Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Debit One
Starter
And1: 87

Post#81 » by Debit One » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:40 pm

msiris wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why cant Randolph play SF? Prince is only 15 lbs more.

Because he doesn't have an outside shot and doesn't handle the ball well.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,835

Post#82 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:01 pm

Not sure if anybody has seen this new mix of Randolph, but it looks like he is pretty comfortable dribbling in the open court as he led several breaks and finished them with good decisions. I know his combine results don't reflect supreme quickness or speed, but from these game highlights he looks quick on his feet to me. I like the Prince comparison, a Prince/Bosh hybrid sounds nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CRtna5iDFc
Go Bucks!
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#83 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:07 pm

MFScho wrote:Not sure if anybody has seen this new mix of Randolph, but it looks like he is pretty comfortable dribbling in the open court as he led several breaks and finished them with good decisions. I know his combine results don't reflect supreme quickness or speed, but from these game highlights he looks quick on his feet to me. I like the Prince comparison, a Prince/Bosh hybrid sounds nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CRtna5iDFc

A LOT of players look good in Youtube mixes.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,835

Post#84 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:12 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

A LOT of players look good in Youtube mixes.

Really, I had no idea champ. If you go back and read what I wrote, I wasn't looking at the baskets he was converting but was examining his quickness in relation to his opponents. He looked a lot more fluid and quick then I recall seeing him, which was only 1 time since LSU was absolutely terrible this year.
Go Bucks!
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:27 pm

MFScho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Really, I had no idea champ. If you go back and read what I wrote, I wasn't looking at the baskets he was converting but was examining his quickness in relation to his opponents. He looked a lot more fluid and quick then I recall seeing him, which was only 1 time since LSU was absolutely terrible this year.

I guess I'm just not that enamored with the guy. He's another "project" type player who is too skinny to contribute much right now, just like Yi. I think we need a player who is more close to being NBA ready. We don't need more projects.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,435

Post#86 » by randy84 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:17 pm

I agreed I don't think Randolph would fit in with the Bucks.

First, the guy likes to rebound. I mean he really loves to rebound. The guy grabbed 18 rebounds in a game.

The Bucks don't need this kind of attitude on their team. They need guys that are willing to throw up a shot and head back down the floor. They need guys that like to give the other team multiple chances for baskets.

Second, Randolph blocks shots. I mean really, do the Bucks need someone that is going to knock the ball into the stands when an opponent tries to score. I don't think so. Yi and CV wouldn't do this type of thing. Bogut only does this when he accidentally sticks his hands.

Thirdly, the guy is 6'10 and runs a fast break. Then he has the audacity to pass the ball to a teammate. I mean what type of player would do that.?Doesn't he know that at 6/10 he spot up at the three point line like CV and jack up a shot while his teammates are still at the other end of the floor.

I hope the Bucks pass on this guy. I mean he rebounds, blocks shots, and can get out on a fast break. That is just too much defense for the Bucks.

We need another guy who will want to takes a lot of shots.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:58 pm

randy84 wrote:
Thirdly, the guy is 6'10 and runs a fast break. Then he has the audacity to pass the ball to a teammate. I mean what type of player would do that.?

Yi. The Bucks drafted Yi last year with the 6 pick in the NBA draft, he is a project at the power forward position. Why draft another project at the power forward position this year with the 8th pick? Why? We all saw how well the Hawks did with drafting SF's every year in the draft. Now that Joe Alexander guy...
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#88 » by Wise1 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:15 pm

DrugBust wrote:Randolph is going to eventually be a PF. There isn't a doubt in my mind.

Defensively, there isn't a chance he can hang with NBA SFs. James, Anthony, Iguodala, Jefferson, Smith, Butler, Howard, Prince, Maggette, Miller, Wallace, Deng, Artest...forget about it. He simply doesn't have the lateral quickness. Right now he's a tall, rail-thin PF.

His best chance is to make it as a perimeter based PF, but his shot isn't there yet.

Totally disgree here DB. We're not talking about a plodder here. If Lamar Odom can play the three, why couldn't this athletic youngster? Besides, if you have the kind of defensive length that I see with a Randolph-Yi-Bogut trio up front, your length and help defense covers up for anything you'd lose against quicker players.

If Randolph can handle it and shoot it as advertised, he'd easily be a small forward on this roster. Could he play power forward at some point? I wouldn't doubt it, but I definitely think he can play the 3. I have good feelings about him DB. I think he makes us a lot better if he's there at 8. I'm having my doubts.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#89 » by Simulack » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:16 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Yi. The Bucks drafted Yi last year with the 6 pick in the NBA draft, he is a project at the power forward position. Why draft another project at the power forward position this year with the 8th pick? Why? We all saw how well the Hawks did with drafting SF's every year in the draft. Now that Joe Alexander guy...

By "run the break" I am assuming he meant lead the break as in having the ball-handing skills to dribble down the court and the vision/passing ability to find open teammates like Randolph did an number of times in that video... Yi certainly doesn't have that. Yi can run the break in the sense that he moves down the court quickly for a guy his size and can finish if he is wide-open and there is no one in the way. His ball-handling and passing skills however are currently nearly non-existent.

Whatever anyone thinks of Yi, I don't see how he demonstrated enough to show he is a good enough PF prospect to make us pass on another PF this year if that is the best prospect available. If you don't like Randolph as a prospect, fine. But having Yi who was one of the worst starting PFs in the NBA much of the season shouldn't be a reason for not drafting someone.

I agree with Randy. Randolph is a pretty solid rebounder already for a guy as skinny as he is. He also must have very good shot-blocking insticts to be able to be the 28th best shot-blocker in the NCAA as a freshmen.

He's a raw, potential-type prospect but one who at least has a lot of upside on the defensive end - sure sounds like someone we should take a good look at.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#90 » by Simulack » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:23 pm

Another thing regarding Randolph I posted on the draft board:

Although the weight is a concern, his bench results at the combine suggest someone with decent strength considering how skinny he is and what long arms he has. Seven isn't great but it looks good when compared to what thin guys like Durant (0) and B. Wright (2) did last year. He is right around what guys like Aldridge ( 8 ), Melo (7), Collison ( 8 ) and Dwight Howard (7) posted coming out of college (or high school in Howard's case).

Granted, its one measure of a particular kind of strength but it measures fairly well against guys with similar weights. It seems to suggest a guy who actually has decent natural strength rather than the weakling he's often taken to be.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:35 pm

People scoffed, and still scoff at Brandan Wright who is about the same size and weight as Randolph last year. So why are people liking Randolph now? Is it because the draft is weaker?
Wise1
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wise1 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:40 pm

The Randolph/Yi comparisons are just bananas in terms of an overall skill set. Nice break down Simulack / randy84. Seriously, were 18 year old guys like Kobe, JO and McGrady able to contribute right away? Randolph may not be that level of prospect but the point remains the same. IF you feel a young player can help you win in the long term, you give him a year or two to develop. Just look at how far Bogut has come as a shot blocker in a few short years.

Randolph could easily play the 3 in the NBA. It wouldn't be wise to dismiss him as a legitimate candidate to be selected by the Bucks. Hammond says he likes to move quickly. Well, let's just look at the players that he brought in first. Also, with the reports that both Hammond and Skiles wined and dined the kid, its no secret that he is on their list of potentials. His selection makes a lot of sense if you want to improve your defense and athleticism. Would be a great pick imo.
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#93 » by cam2win » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:42 pm

Don't we already have two Randolph's on this team already (SF/PF tweeners). Those that say he can play the 3, can Yi? can CV?

Randolph is bascially last on my list of anyone mentioned top 15 in this draft. Let someone else draft the Marcus Haislip of this draft.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:44 pm

I wasn't comparing Yi and Randolph, I was just saying Yi is a good runner like Randolph is. I guess if Hammond really likes the guy then take him. But I think it would send a bad message to Yi. But maybe that would make him work harder, heh. I mean, if you take two power forwards 2 straight years in the lottery, one has to be good right?
Wise1
RealGM

Post#95 » by Wise1 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:46 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:People scoffed, and still scoff at Brandan Wright who is about the same size and weight as Randolph last year. So why are people liking Randolph now? Is it because the draft is weaker?

Yi and Brandon are power forward prospects. Those on board with Randolph see him as a 3/4 prospect. He separates from Yi and Wright in terms of his ability to handle the basketball and lead a break. He's closer to Lamar Odom and Tayshaun Prince than he is to guys like Yi and Wright in terms of an overall skill set.

Nothing to do with the strength of the draft.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#96 » by Wise1 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:51 pm

cam2win wrote:Don't we already have two Randolph's on this team already (SF/PF tweeners). Those that say he can play the 3, can Yi? can CV?

Randolph is bascially last on my list of anyone mentioned top 15 in this draft. Let someone else draft the Marcus Haislip of this draft.

CV can't defend and doesn't block shots. The Haislip comparison is just bananas.

To your point about tweeners, perhaps there's something there. This is why the team brought Randolph in. Surely they want to find out if he's a legitimate candidate to play small forward in this league since that is the team's greatest area of need at the moment. If they think Randolph can play the 3 or even the 4 effectively, they'll not hesitate to take him if he's the best player on the board. Skiles is on record as saying he doesn't care how he looks at any position, he's on board with taking the best player in any instance.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#97 » by Wise1 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:58 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:I wasn't comparing Yi and Randolph, I was just saying Yi is a good runner like Randolph is. I guess if Hammond really likes the guy then take him. But I think it would send a bad message to Yi. But maybe that would make him work harder, heh. I mean, if you take two power forwards 2 straight years in the lottery, one has to be good right?

If the team envisions Randolph as their "small" forward of the future (ala Odom / Prince), then there would be no message sent to Yi at all. A good question to Hammond during the workouts...if he were available...would have been what position does he see Randolph having a future in.

But again, if Randolph is the best player on the board at 8 it won't matter where the Bucks see him. They'll take him.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#98 » by Simulack » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:11 am

Wise1 wrote:If the team envisions Randolph as their "small" forward of the future (ala Odom / Prince), then there would be no message sent to Yi at all. A good question to Hammond during the workouts...if he were available...would have been what position does he see Randolph having a future in.

But again, if Randolph is the best player on the board at 8 it won't matter where the Bucks see him. They'll take him.

He was asked that question recently in a DraftExpress interview and didn't give any conclusive answer:

DraftExpress: Do you ultimately see yourself as a small forward or a power forward?

Anthony Randolph: It depends on what team I go to. If I
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,435

Post#99 » by randy84 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:11 am

The thing to take into account also is who the Bucks brought in with Randolph for a workout. It wasn't other PF prospects, but SF prospects like Alexander and Green.

Obviously they wanted to test Randolph against other SF prospects to see if he could guard them. I am not sure how the workouts turned out but if he was able to keep up with Alexander and Green then the Bucks would probably feel confident that he could play the SF position.

And unless he has some sort of "condition" the old Randolph gets the more he is going to fill out.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 87

Post#100 » by Debit One » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:28 am

Wise1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
If Randolph can handle it and shoot it as advertised, he'd easily be a small forward on this roster.

Please look at these stats and tell me what makes you think that Randolph can shoot or handle the ball well enough to be an NBA SF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36181

Is it the 2 three pointers that he made last season? The .105 three point percentage? The .41 to 1 Assist/TO ratio?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks