ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1261 » by playa-hater » Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm

For every Rule there is an exception. PP is my exception, but I would love a tall rangy lead or Combo guard. No small players please.

*PP is an excellent spark plug off the bench. But how long will Jrue last? Very possible he plays great for the remainder of his contract. But quite possible his age starts showing faster than we expect.

So while any "best player available" always applies, just noting those players including tall playmakers are on my list.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,796

Post#1262 » by 165bows » Sun May 19, 2024 3:28 pm

lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 6,002

Post#1263 » by lon3lytoaster » Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 pm

I would like to start seeing us draft more than 2-ways and international guys in the Stevens era. This wasn’t a bad draft to get mostly out of (trading that GSW pick for Holiday was a no brainer knowing and being right about Rob’s health in particular.)

JD isn’t going to stick, at least not here. Madar and Begerin likely never see the NBA. Still love Walsh, but he’s probably two years off.

We obviously have very finite ways to improve going forward, apart from internal development and growth. Hitting on a late first or early second would be huge.

Warming up to Bronny being a solid gamble of a pick. He’s getting way too much flack for a bad year, when let’s be honest.. there’s a real possibility he could have died just before it. Don’t think the LeBron thing has any legs at this point, but you also can’t rule out him growing another inch or two knowing who his dad is. That could be huge.

Other than that, Jaylon Tyson is the only other guy I’ve had my eyes on but hard to tell where he goes.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,083

Post#1264 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 20, 2024 10:26 am

Davison and Madar are already better than Bronny will ever be and have less risk of collapsing and dying on the court.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,841

Post#1265 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:45 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:I would like to start seeing us draft more than 2-ways and international guys in the Stevens era. This wasn’t a bad draft to get mostly out of (trading that GSW pick for Holiday was a no brainer knowing and being right about Rob’s health in particular.)

JD isn’t going to stick, at least not here. Madar and Begerin likely never see the NBA. Still love Walsh, but he’s probably two years off.

We obviously have very finite ways to improve going forward, apart from internal development and growth. Hitting on a late first or early second would be huge.

Warming up to Bronny being a solid gamble of a pick. He’s getting way too much flack for a bad year, when let’s be honest.. there’s a real possibility he could have died just before it. Don’t think the LeBron thing has any legs at this point, but you also can’t rule out him growing another inch or two knowing who his dad is. That could be huge.

Other than that, Jaylon Tyson is the only other guy I’ve had my eyes on but hard to tell where he goes.

If Bronny is there at 54 he is still not BPA.
He would be a two way guy in that case if we did draft him.
He is a long long way from being a meaningful NBA player.
I’d much rather bring Davison onto the big club.
Sign here
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,543

Post#1266 » by threrf23 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:01 pm

I actually like Bronny on paper, sounds a bit like Avery Bradley with better intangibles and upside. His stats aren't bad in key respects, especially if we consider how his season was altered. You're also bringing his father around the team by drafting him - I assume - which has the potential to make the team more desirable to other players.

Come draft night, I fully expect that someone will snag him before we are up, I also fully expect to have a few binkies that I want instead of Bronny, but I wouldn't be mad at all if we drafted him.
neno
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#1267 » by neno » Mon May 20, 2024 4:15 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Davison and Madar are already better than Bronny will ever be and have less risk of collapsing and dying on the court.

Hope so I hate when that happens
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,083

Post#1268 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 20, 2024 4:18 pm

He's a 6' 1.5" shooting guard who doesn't shoot that well. An Avery Bradley comparison is wildly optimistic. For starters, Bradley had a 40" vertical.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,397

Post#1269 » by Hal14 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:20 pm

Assuming we trade pick 30 and end up taking someone in like the 35-55 range..I'm thinking we either:

a) Grab a big man, ideally one who can shoot (some options worth looking at are Coleman Hawkins, DaRon Holmes, Ulrich Chomche, Andrija Jelavic, PJ Hall)

Or

B) a wing..either a young guy w/ upside (Trentyn Flowers, Justin Edwards, Johnny Furphy, Kyshawn Hall) or an older, more developed guy who could possibly contribute right away (Jamir Watkins, Alex Karaban, Isaiah Crawford, Baylor Scheierman, Kevin McCullar Jr, Nique Clifford)

There's also Enrique Freeman (mentioned him the other day who's a 4 and could maybe play some small ball 5, he's an older, more developed guy..and Bobi Klintman..who's more of a 4 but could maybe play some at the 3 (positionally kind of like Brissett and Lamar Stevens) who is intriguing and I'd be fine if we took him mid to late 2nd round but I'm not too wild about him..

It wouldn't shock me if we hear about some of these guys coming in for workouts with the Celtics over the next few weeks. Freeman worked out for us last year before deciding to go back to school. Jonathan Mogbo (older guy, a combo PF/C type but can't shoot..) had a workout the other day for the Celtics..

Not sure if this got posted already, regarding Mogbo:

Read on Twitter

Pros
-Beast rebounder
-Good steals % and blocks %
-Good TS%, good FG% at the rim, insanely high number of dunks
-Really high assist % for a big
-Really high BPM

Cons
-Undersized big, only like 6'7.5" but does have 72" wingspan..so pretty similar in terms of size to Tillman
-Older guy, about 22 and a half yrs old
-Played in a mid major conference, so lesser competition than the high major conferences
-Doesn't shoot 3's
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,167

Post#1270 » by keevsnick1 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:48 pm

I really hope they keep the 30th pick. It would be nice to actually see Stevens draft a first rounder for once.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 6,002

Post#1271 » by lon3lytoaster » Mon May 20, 2024 4:48 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:He's a 6' 1.5" shooting guard who doesn't shoot that well. An Avery Bradley comparison is wildly optimistic. For starters, Bradley had a 40" vertical.

I’m not saying Bronny James is BPA at 30, but this is just hate to hate. He had a 40.5 max vert (AB is only a google search away at 37.5)

They have the same wing span at over 6’7 and Bronny already outbulks rookie/frosh AB by 30 pounds. He also performed very comparably to AB in shooting drills at the combine, who also did not exactly come in as a known commodity in the shooting department.

I get he didn’t have a good season and we don’t like his dad, I don’t care one way or another if we draft him but he’s a classic combine climber and some judgement seems to be being clouded.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,397

Post#1272 » by Hal14 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:He's a 6' 1.5" shooting guard who doesn't shoot that well. An Avery Bradley comparison is wildly optimistic. For starters, Bradley had a 40" vertical.

I’m not saying Bronny James is BPA at 30, but this is just hate to hate. He had a 40.5 max vert (AB is only a google search away at 37.5)

They have the same wing span at over 6’7 and Bronny already outbulks rookie/frosh AB by 30 pounds. He also performed very comparably to AB in shooting drills at the combine, who also did not exactly come in as a known commodity in the shooting department.

I get he didn’t have a good season and we don’t like his dad, I don’t care one way or another if we draft him but he’s a classic combine climber and some judgement seems to be being clouded.

I could be wrong but guys who were really bad college players (and undersized) who were "combine climbers" have a really low hit rate in terms of becoming good NBA players.

If a guy was really bad in college, that shouldn't be outweighed by having a 40 inch vertical and hitting some shots in an empty gym.

Guys like Jalen Williams and Brandin Podziemski were combine climbers. But they were also REALLY good players during their pre-draft college season. And they also dominated the combine scrimmages. Bronny was like 40% from the field and like 20% from 3 pt line in the combine scrimmages, with meh playmaking and meh defense.

He's not a real NBA prospect imo. There's at least 75 prospects in this class who are better.

Now, if we take him at pick 54 and there's a wink wink deal that has already been agreed upon beforehand that LeBron will sign in Boston if we draft Bronny at 54 (1 pick before the Lakers pick) then yes, go ahead and take him.

But that seems pretty farfetched to me. Pretty sure the league office would swoop in and put the kabosh on something like that before it happened because it would be collusion.

Or, perhaps the league office would do what they have done in the past with sketchy deals and simply take away a future 2nd round pick from that team..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#1273 » by Dogen » Mon May 20, 2024 5:48 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:I really hope they keep the 30th pick. It would be nice to actually see Stevens draft a first rounder for once.

It's hard to know since there is little history to go by. I would think that there is a guy available that Brad likes and the team thinks will be a contributor, then makes sense to reward with that guaranteed contract. If it's another guy that's 2 years away, then better to trade back and see if he's available in the 2nd round, then get him on 2-way deal for the first year.

This draft seems to have a number of decent wings in that 21-23 year-old range that could step in to a bench role. Getting the right fit is one thing, but any bench minutes for a rookie on a team with championship or bust aspirations is a tall order.
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,516

Post#1274 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 20, 2024 5:54 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:I really hope they keep the 30th pick. It would be nice to actually see Stevens draft a first rounder for once.

I'm starting to think they will or might even move up. Celtics don't have a ton of avenues to add more talent. Got to get a little lucky.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,699

Post#1275 » by shackles10 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:12 pm

I've grown tired of Bronny over the last couple of seasons, but at least he's giving entertainment to an otherwise boring draft. Whoever picks him is at least an interesting story line, and in fairness, as are all the teams who pass on him once it probably gets into the later part of the first. I dislike Lebron, but I like titles. If Lebron wants to come here for vet min after we win it all this June I'm not sure I say no lol.
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 168

Post#1276 » by redslastlaugh » Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm

Assuming we trade pick 30 and end up taking someone in like the 35-55 range..I'm thinking we either:

a) Grab a big man, ideally one who can shoot (some options worth looking at are Coleman Hawkins, DaRon Holmes, Ulrich Chomche, Andrija Jelavic, PJ Hall)

I’ve been a bit behind this cycle but have been trying to catch-up on YouTube. I think from this group I’d list in preference as, Holmes, Hall, Jelavic, Chomche, and then Coleman Hawkins last.

B) a wing..either a young guy w/ upside (Trentyn Flowers, Justin Edwards, Johnny Furphy, Kyshawn Hall)

From this group, I’d say, Furphy far and away. I’d pass entirely on Edwards who looks like a lesser version of James Young, lol.

An older, more developed guy who could possibly contribute right away (Jamir Watkins, Alex Karaban, Isaiah Crawford, Baylor Scheierman, Kevin McCullar Jr, Nique Clifford)

Really interesting group. I think all of these guys have a fair % chance at an 8 yr career. My order is Mccullar, Clifford, scheierman, Crawford, Watkins, Karaban. Karaban might actually have the best odds at a productive career but just seems too duplicative of Sam Hauser for a Celtics specific big board which is how I rank players, ie fit on the C’s.
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 168

Post#1277 » by redslastlaugh » Mon May 20, 2024 6:44 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:I would like to start seeing us draft more than 2-ways and international guys in the Stevens era. This wasn’t a bad draft to get mostly out of (trading that GSW pick for Holiday was a no brainer knowing and being right about Rob’s health in particular.)

If Bronny is there at 54 he is still not BPA.
He would be a two way guy in that case if we did draft him.
He is a long long way from being a meaningful NBA player.
I’d much rather bring Davison onto the big club.

Davison seems like a way better option. I get people are sleeping on JD because he’s not a great shooter but his 3 ball this last season including all three segments (showcase, reg season and playoffs) was 30.2% and trending up. You can work with that.

Remember Marcus Smart 2nd thru 4th yr three pt percentage was 25%, 28%, and 30% and he got it up to 34% and 36% in later seasons. JD passing has a chance to be as special as Smarts defense. And he’s a few makes away from 33-34% on threes. Im big on Davison’s upside, way way higher than Bronny James’s.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,516

Post#1278 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 20, 2024 7:27 pm

Payton Sandfort seems like a Brad Stevens type of player.

"Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere."
neno
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#1279 » by neno » Mon May 20, 2024 11:08 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Payton Sandfort seems like a Brad Stevens type of player.

Write up from the ringer has lot to like
Payton Sandfort
Iowa, Junior

HEIGHT 6'7"
WEIGHT 215
AGE 21.9
Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere.
SHADES OF
Sam hauser
Movement Shooter
Clutch Gene
Spacer
Off-Ball Mover
PLUSES
Elite shooter coming off of screens and handoffs who knows how to create space for himself. He’s the type of player that defenses can’t forget about or he’ll make them regret it.

Capable shooter off the dribble who can get into side dribbles with ease, and he’s unfazed by the presence of a defender when pulling up from midrange.

Never plays outside of himself as a good decision-maker with the ball in his hands. But with a growing role each season, he’s shown he’s more than that. He has a feel for passing his teammates open off of drives.

High-effort defender who rebounds for his position.

MINUSES
A limited primary shot creator who has trouble with long-armed defenders.

Doesn’t change directions all too quickly when defending in space, which could leave him prone to being targeted by offenses
A shooter named Payton who's compared to Hauser? Ok!!!
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,796

Post#1280 » by 165bows » Tue May 21, 2024 12:48 am

neno wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Payton Sandfort seems like a Brad Stevens type of player.

Write up from the ringer has lot to like
Payton Sandfort
Iowa, Junior

HEIGHT 6'7"
WEIGHT 215
AGE 21.9
Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere.
SHADES OF
Sam hauser
Movement Shooter
Clutch Gene
Spacer
Off-Ball Mover
PLUSES
Elite shooter coming off of screens and handoffs who knows how to create space for himself. He’s the type of player that defenses can’t forget about or he’ll make them regret it.

Capable shooter off the dribble who can get into side dribbles with ease, and he’s unfazed by the presence of a defender when pulling up from midrange.

Never plays outside of himself as a good decision-maker with the ball in his hands. But with a growing role each season, he’s shown he’s more than that. He has a feel for passing his teammates open off of drives.

High-effort defender who rebounds for his position.

MINUSES
A limited primary shot creator who has trouble with long-armed defenders.

Doesn’t change directions all too quickly when defending in space, which could leave him prone to being targeted by offenses
A shooter named Payton who's compared to Hauser? Ok!!!

Might have a shot at being a player and a decent second round pick - but has anyone asked Joe Wieskamp what his feelings are on the matter??!?

Return to Boston Celtics