NBA WiretapMarch 2012 NBA Wiretap

Jordan May Sell Bobcats If Turnaround Doesn't Happen Within Four Seasons

Mar 31, 2012 8:37 PM

Michael Jordan reportedly told Bobcats' GM Rich Cho to begin preparations on how to rebuild the franchise and that he may sell the franchise if they can't turn around the situation within the next few years.

“I told Rich to make us better,” Jordan told one associate recently. “If that doesn’t work and I can’t make a profit in the next three to four years, then I’m selling.”

The Bobcats are the only team in the NBA with only single-digit wins.

Mitch Lawrence/New York Daily News

Tags: Charlotte Hornets, NBA, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss
Lin Out For Remainder Of Regular Season

Mar 31, 2012 8:30 PM

Jeremy Lin will miss the remainder of the regular season due to a small meniscal tear in his left knee that will require surgery.

Lin will have surgery within the next few days and is expected to miss six weeks.

“It is a big blow,” said Mike Woodson. “He was starting to come as a player.”

Lin and team officials had hoped to delay surgery until after the season, but the knee did not sufficiently respond to treatment over the course of the week.

“I can’t really do much, can’t really cut or jump,” Lin said at a news conference. “So it’s pretty clear that I won’t be able to help the team unless I get this fixed right now. It’s disappointing for me. It’s hard to watch the games. And I think I want to be out there, obviously, more than anything, to help the team.”

Howard Beck/New York Times

Tags: Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
BJ Young Submits Name For Draft

Mar 31, 2012 1:09 PM

BJ Young has submitted his name for consideration for the 2012 NBA Draft, but has not hired an agent.

Young is a freshman guard out of Arkansas that led all SEC freshmen in scoring at 15.3 points per game.

“I love being a Razorback and I see this as an opportunity to receive valuable feedback from the NBA advisory committee on my draft potential,” Young said in a news release from the university. “I want to make sure that I have all the information possible before I choose what is best for me and my family. Once I am able to look over all the facts, I will have a discussion with my family and coaches and decide what is best.”

40/29 TV Fayetteville

Tags: B.J. Young, Arkansas Razorbacks, NCAA, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General, NBA Draft Declarations

Discuss
Lakers Won't Limit Kobe's Minutes

Mar 31, 2012 1:00 PM

Mike Brown would prefer to reduce the minutes of Kobe Bryant, but he will not be able to as the Lakers vie for playoff positioning.

"All of our guys, if I can get any of our guys rest of any given day or any given night, I would love to do that," Brown said. "But right now, we can't afford to do that."

Brown believes Bryant is capable of logging heavy minutes.

"His body's in great condition," Brown said. "But he's kind of a freak of nature. When he's 52, his body might be in peak condition."

Andy Kamenetzky/ESPN

Tags: Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA, NBA B-Ball IQ

Discuss
Irving Injures Right Shoulder

Mar 31, 2012 12:57 PM

Kyrie Irving sprained his right shoulder in Cleveland's 121-84 loss to the Bucks on Friday.

The Cavaliers have lost six consecutive games.

Irving was trying to fight through a screen when he ran into Ersan Ilyasova and crashed to the floor, injuring the shoulder when he hit the court.

Irving played the entire third quarter after suffering the injury in the second.

“I’m in pain right now, but getting through it,” Irving said.

Boston Herald

Tags: Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Kings Sign Terrence Williams For Remainder Of Season

Mar 31, 2012 12:38 PM

Terrence Williams has signed with the Kings for the remainder of the season.

Williams had been on a 10-day contract with the team.

Keith Smart spoke about what Williams has been giving Sacramento.

"The ability to rebound as a guard, the ability to defend as a guard, his ability to be a playmaker," said Smart. "He sees the floor very well. That pass he floated over to Jason Thompson on the break, that's a tough pass for a guy to make to get it over the top of the runner, the defender. Then to pass it soft enough for him to be able to catch it? That's a type of pass that only certain people can make and this young man can do that. So he gives me that playmaking ability."

Jason Jones/Sacramento Bee

Tags: Terrence Williams, Sacramento Kings, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Official Signing, NBA Misc Rumor

Discuss
Austin Rivers Would Love To Play For Celtics

Mar 30, 2012 10:30 PM

Austin Rivers is intrigued by the prospect of playing for his father, Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

"If that was to happen, I would love to," Rivers said Friday." "I would love to play for any organization in the NBA. That's my dream. It would be great. It would be different. It would be an interesting aspect just to play for my dad."

Rivers said that if he were to be drafted by the Celtics, he'd want to be treated like any other player.

"If I'm messing up, I want him to be hard on me. If I'm doing good, I want him to pat me on the back. That's the way he coaches," Rivers said during the radio interview. "However he coaches(Rajon) Rondo or Kevin Garnett or Avery Bradleyor any other player on that team, I want him to coach me. I don't want anything handed to me. I never have my whole life. I would have to mature and accept that responsibility. That's one of the things you look forward to when you decide to go pro."

ESPNBoston.com

Tags: Austin Rivers, Boston Celtics, Duke Blue Devils, Atlantic Coast Conference, NCAA, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General

Discuss
Sullinger Made Statement By Not Turning Pro

Mar 30, 2012 10:27 PM

Jared Sullinger reflected on his decision to return to Ohio State for his sophomore season.

“I wanted to make a statement that not everybody is using college basketball as a pit stop to go to the next level, that there’s more than money and endorsements," Sullinger said. “There are championships that you’ve got to win at every level. That’s what I pride myself on. I’ve won a championship all the way from elementary to now, and now I’m trying to look towards the bigger trophy in the national championship. I pride myself on winning. That’s why I came back."

Thad Matta believes Sullinger has made his mark at Ohio State.

“He’s going to be known as one of the all-time greatest players ever to wear the scarlet-and-gray," Matta said. “I think that’s something that is important to him. He’s won at the highest level."

Sporting News

Tags: Jared Sullinger, Ohio State Buckeyes, Big Ten Conference, NCAA Tournament, NCAA, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General

Discuss
Reggie Evans Fined $25,000 For Obscene Gesture

Mar 30, 2012 9:04 PM

Reggie Evans has been fined $25,000 for making an obscene gesture during Monday's game against the Hornets.

Stu Jackson announced the fine on Friday.

Sacramento Bee

Tags: Reggie Evans, Los Angeles Clippers, NBA, NBA Fines

Discuss
O'Neal Undergoes Successful Wrist Surgery

Mar 30, 2012 9:01 PM

Jermaine O’Neal underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist on Friday at New England Baptist Hospital. The surgery was performed by Celtics Team Physician Dr. Brian McKeon and Dr. Drew Terrono.

O’Neal appeared in 25 games for the Celtics this season averaging 5.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 22.8 minutes per game.

RealGM Staff Report

Tags: Jermaine O'Neal, Boston Celtics, NBA, NBA Injury

Discuss
Hamilton Returns To Lineup
Richard Hamilton has missed 36 of Chicago's 52 games this season, but returned to the lineup on Friday against Detroit.

Chicago Tribune

Wilson Chandler's Contract Worth Less Than Initially Reported
Wilson Chandler's contract was widely reported to be worth $37 million over five season, but sources say the number is actually $31.7 million.

Marc Stein/ESPN

Thibodeau Upset With Contract Situation
Tom Thibodeau is openly upset with the lack of a competitive contract offer from the Bulls.

Marc Stein/ESPN

Rockets Assign Malcolm Thomas To Rio Grande
Malcolm Thomas appeared in 19 games for the D-Fenders, averaging 13.8 points and 9.3 rebounds.

RealGM Staff Report

Grant Hill Undergoes Minor Knee Surgery
Grant Hill is out until mid-April, if not for the remainder of the Suns' season.

Paul Coro/Arizona Republic

Fernandez Undergoes Successful Back Surgery
Rudy Fernandez is expected to be out for the remainder of the regular season.

NBA.com

Spurs Transform Into Offensive Reliant Team
The Spurs won four titles between 1999 and 2007 behind the strength of their defense.

Jeff McDonald/San Antonio Express-News

Lester Hudson Signs 10-Day Contract With Cavaliers
Lester Hudson has appeared in five games for the Toros this season, averaging 17.6 points on .532 shooting.

RealGM Staff Report

Nets Sign Dennis Horner To 10-Day Contract
Dennis Horner appeared in five games with New Jersey, scoring a total of four points in 16 minutes of action.

RealGM Staff Report

Bradley Beal To Consult With Family On NBA Options
Bradley Beal has until April 10 to decide whether to enter his name into the 2012 draft.

Gainesville Sun

Varejao Hopes To Play For Brazil At London Games
Anderson Varejao is still recovering from a broken wrist.

NBA.com

Arnett Moultrie Declares For Draft
Arnett Moultrie intends to hire an agent.

Jackson Clarion Ledger

Nash Needs To See Improvements From Suns To Re-Sign
Steve Nash acknowledged that he is unlikely to re-sign with the Suns if the team doesn't make improvements in the offseason.

Dan Patrick Show

Barnes, Henson, Marshall Declare For Draft
Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Kendall Marshall will leave North Carolina early for the NBA Draft.

Robbi Pickeral/ESPN

Duncan Impressed With Development Of Cousins
DeMarcus Cousins had a double-double in his fourth consecutive game in Sacramento's 117-112 loss to the Spurs on Wednesday.

Jason Jones/Sacramento Bee

Hinrich Open To Signing With Bulls
Kirk Hinrich would be open to returning to the Bulls this offseason as a free agent.

K.C. Johnson/Chicago Tribune

Brooks Pleased With Fisher's Chemistry Transition
Derek Fisher has been working to find a comfort level with his new teammates of the Thunder.

John Rohde/Oklahoman

Jeff Van Gundy Suspects Howard's Decision About Power
Jeff Van Gundy believes Dwight Howard's decision to opt-in and remain with the Magic was more about having power than loyalty.

Orlando Sentinel

Kentucky Learned Value Of Teamwork From Summer Scrimmages Against Pro Players
Kentucky played together for the first time during open gym games with NBA players.

Louisville Courier Journal

Don Nelson Voted Into Hall Of Fame
Don Nelson will be among this year's class inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

ESPN.com